World Visitors

Free counters!

Ocean Breeze Visitors Around The Globe

Friday, November 30, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Pianda-an Sur


                                          Pianda-an Sur

Feast Day: October 3
Patron Saint: St. Therese of the Child Jesus

               There are six household who were the pioneer residents in this place in 1870s led by Pido Ambid. In the 1880s there is a fierce battle between the Spaniards and the Katipuneros. In this place, the Spaniards ran after these Katipuneros and the caught a man too slow to run. The man shouted "Pi ang daan ko!" Since then they call the place "Piang da-an" which later became Pianda-an. 
               When the Americans came in the 1900s, Pianda-an was headed by Enrique Ambid. In this year a sugar mill was built. Someone stole the mill by two carabao pulling it. In 1920 processing of sugar cane stopped and people incur loses in their sugarcane crop. During the Japanese occupation in World War II, many people from the city evacuated to this place to hide from the enemy and returned home after liberation of Panay. 
                 In 1946, Ricardo Hisugan was appointed as the Teniente del Barrio. During his term, the residents constructed a chapel and they celebrated the first fiesta in their barangay on October 3, 1946. The patron saint is St. Therese of the Child Jesus. The image of St. Therese was stolen in 1950 and it was never returned. 
                 Quintin Anecita became the Teniente del Barrio in 1960 and Barangay Captain starting in 1964 when the church was transferred closer to thirty (30) households and also during this time when the first multi-purpose hall was completed. During the term of Captain Rogelio Tagurigan the church undergone some extensions and the electricity reach this barangay. During the term of Captain Burt Cortez, a new chapel was constructed which still stood until today.      

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Pianda-an Norte


Pianda-an Norte

Feast Day: Second Week of February
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Salvation

               In 1900s there were only a few residents in this place led by Teniente del Barrio Crisanto Alibango Anarajado. The name of the barrio according to the elderly folks was taken during the Spanish period where there is a man going to the Buriraw and Kahimayaan creek and was asked by the Spaniards the name of the place. Due to the language barrier and miscommunication, the man answered "Pi, ang daan ko"." Since then the people started to call their place Pi-ang daan which later became Pianda-an. 
              Until World War II, Teniente Crisanto Anarajado is the leader of Pianda-an and aside from them, the pioneering families living in the place were Piojo, Misare, Anitohin and Albancia. In 1952 Teniente Anarajado died and was succeeded by her daughter, Cristita Anarajado Albancia. Due to the vast expanse of the land and the long distance of houses, the barrio was divided into two: Pianda-an Norte (North) and Pianda-an Sur (South) before the 1960s. Juan Aldabar succeeded Cristita Albancia from 1960-1963 and in 1964 Cristita Albancia returned as a captain and served in that position until 1980. 
            In 1981 Jesus Cabalfin became the barangay captain of Pianda-an Norte and the people plan to have a fiesta. The residents choose Our Lady of Salvation as their patron saint and the people donated to buy an image of their patron saint. The first fiesta in the barrio was celebrated on February 11, 1981 and celebrate it every second week of February.   

Monday, November 26, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Pajo


Pajo 

Feast Day: August 16
                  Second Saturday of January (Sitio Balogo)
Patron Saint:  St. Roch
                      Holy Child Jesus (Sitio Balogo)

               Barrio Pajo was established in 1858 according to the Spanish documents. The name of the barrio came from a creek called "Pajo" which became the camp of the Philippine Army during World War II.
               During the term of Mamerto Quirante alias Etok, the residents planned to construct a chapel but before that so many people got sick. Teniente Etok held a meeting to choose a patron saint for the sick and they choose St. John the Baptist yet they haven't held a fiesta. 
                In 1940 when Teniente Etok passed away Teniente Aurelio Quirante alias Orel took the leadership. During that time, there are lots of pests and insect that infest the crops of the farmers, so Teniente Orel called for a meeting to discuss with the people who will be the patron saint they will pray for to get rid of the insect and pest infestations. They choose St. Roch so Teniente Orel bought an image of St. Roch for the barrio chapel. 
               The first fiesta of Barrio Pajo was held on August 19, 1942 with Msgr. Carlos Crucero, the parish priest of the town officiating the first mass in the barrio. Since August is a rainy month and the road to the barrio is muddy and difficult to reach, the priest requested that the feast be transferred in April. So in April of the following year, the feast was held and the first fiesta queen was Epefania Quirante. In later years, the people went back to the original feast day in August in the very date of St. Roch feast day. 
              The barangay prides itself of the Aganan River Plaza, primary school, and Pleywun Ravine in which the people believes that if one part of ravine will erode, someone will die. 
              Sitio Balogo became a part of Barangay Pajo since 2007 but before that it was a sitio of Barangay Cagay. The residents of the sitio started to celebrate a feast on January 10, 1995 in honor of the little child Jesus. Since then the feast is held every second Saturday of January.     

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Manduyog


Manduyog 

Feast Day: January 31
Patron Saint: Holy Child Jesus

               During the Spanish occupation, this place was a woodland. The place became infamous for being the hiding place of the brigands in the wood who steal animal from surrounding barrios. 
               According to the old stories of elderly folks, there are some Spanish soldiers who visited the place and ask for the name of the place. An innocent resident responded by saying "ang mga buyong nagapangguyod kasapatan" (brigands who pull out animals). In a short understanding of the Spaniards, they call the place Manduyog. 
               Manduyog started to have an increase in settlement before the war in the 1920s at the same time the woods started to disappear.  The place became an independent barangay in 1969.  Twenty (20) families each bought 100 sq. m. homelot which costs twenty (20) pesos each.   

Alimodian Barangay - Manasa


Manasa

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Mambawi


Mambawi

Feast Day: February 22
Patron Saint: St. Ildephonsus of Toledo

               In 1900s  there is a place called Purok Bulho with twenty two (22) residents. The purok has a surrounding fence to protect the residents from the bandits. Bulho has four sitios namely Naripay, Igpihak, Bacolod and Ale-ale with nineteen (19) households. Agustin Amor was chosen as the leader of Bulho in 1914. During his term, the first chapel was constructed and the first fiesta was celebrated in honor of St. Ildephonsus. Father Mariano Perez, the parish priest of Alimodian, is the first priest to held mass in the barrio. The image of St. Ildephonsus was made by Alberto "Bitok" Porques - the first sculptor in Bulho. 
              The name Mambawi came from a story during the Spanish times. One day, the Spaniards visited the place and saw an unhappy man because his carabao or water buffalo was lost. When the Spaniards return, they saw that man again and this time was happy and told them that he redeemed (nabawi) his carabao. Since the Spaniards doesn't understand the language, they thought the man told them that Mambawi is the name of the place. Since then, they call the place Mambawi. 
             There is a popular sculptor in town, Anastacio Alon - grandchild of Bitok Porques. He sculpted most of the images in the chapel of Mambawi. He also sculpted many of the images of other barangay and the small image of St. Thomas Villanova which is used to anoint the head of the devotees during the town's fiesta mass.  

Friday, November 16, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Malamboy-Bondolan


Malamboy-Bondolan

Feast Day: May 3
Patron Saint: Holy Cross

               This place was formerly called Sitio Lusad of Barrio Ugbo. The land in this sitio is owned by the families of Armando Cañoso, Felomina Anacay and Leon Gilapay. There is a high hilly part in this sitio, about 200 meters above sea level and neighboring barangays and the city of Iloilo can be seen at the summit especially on a good starry night where the lights in the city is beautifully visible. 
                In the 1960s, the Cañoso family donated their land to be converted into what we call now as the "Agony Hill", a place of worship and retreat  among the devotees but most importantly is the station of the cross during Holy Week with life size images and status commemorating the important events during and after Christ crucifixion. It became a tourist attraction after several years. The place was handed over to Cleofe Alpuerto and her husband Perfecto Galaraga.The couple erected a chapel and a big wooden cross in Bondolan and since then lots of people came to the place and pray. Then there is a gradual increase in settlement in the place.
                In 1971, President Marcos distributed some rice mills around the country and in Alimodian, the recipient is the sitio Lusad. When the rice mills arrived, the name of the barangay in the paper is Malamboy. People just wondered because there were no place in the town named Malamboy. The neighboring barangay Malamhay instead received the rice mill. 
               Mayor Miguel Anas and his Vice Mayor Antonio Anibigno in Lusad and held a meeting with the people since the place was already popularly called Bondolan and just coined and make it Malamboy-Bondolan. When the census came, the name of the place became the  problem. Thus, Mayor Anas went directly to Manila to resolve the issue. When Mayor Anas arrived from Manila, he appointed Perfecto Galaraga to be the first captain of Malamboy Bondolan. 
                The chapel and the wooden cross built by the couple Cleofe and Perfecto in 1961 now called Shrine of the Holy Cross was destroyed by the tropical storm, Ruping in 1990. It was renovated in 1991 until 1995.   

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Malamhay


Malamhay

Feast Day: July 16
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage

               In 1940 this place was just a sitio of Barrio Gines of what they call "Maalam Hay" (Smart) since there are lots of brilliant and smart people in the area. There were seven families that were headed by a certain Osting, who was the happiest person who determined to make their place a separate independent barrio. 
               During the Japanese Occupation in 1942, the barrio celebrated their first fiesta in honor of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage during the incumbency of Teniente del Barrio Bruno Amantil until he became the Barangay Captain in 1948. Fermin Amoyot was the next barangay captain  from 1949 - 1960  during the time of the Huk rebel group and the people evacuated to the town proper. The people returned when peace returned in the barangay from 1960 - 1968 during the incumbency of Captain Ernesto Quia. During the term of Teofilo Amantil (1968 - 1972), the first barangay hall was built  as well as the disco hall, rice mill, and improvised water aqueduct.   

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Luan-Luan


Luan-Luan

Feast Day: October 31
Patron Saint: Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary 

               The name of the place came from a creek named Luan-luan that can be found in the place. During the Spanish times, the place was called Kamansi due to the bounty of the Kamansi fruit in the area which the residents sell in the town proper. Kamansi was formerly just a sitio of Barrio Ingwan in those times. Luan-luan became the name of the place starting in the 1940s. 
                On what can only be remembered by the elderly folks in the barangay, Martin Anacan is the Teniente del Barrio until the World War II. During the Japanese occupation (1940 - 1945), some of the residents evacuated to the neighboring town of Maasin after the Japanese killed Teniente del Barrio Emiliano Aboilo. 
                The barrio celebrated their first fiesta on October 25, 1972 during the term of Captain Inen Aboilo in honor of their patron saint, Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary. The first priest to hold mass in the barrio was Monsignor Carlos Crucero. The first fiesta queen was Fausta Calabing. 
                  The barangay could not forget the sad tragedy that took place in their area aside from the destruction and devastation brought by the tropical storm, Ruping in 1991 is the punishment and sufferings of the barangay officials by the Philippine Army in 1982. The officials was blamed and was the scourge of the Army for their investigation of the leftist and rebel group New People's Army (NPA) in the barangay.   

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Lico


Lico

Feast Day: Last Saturday of March
Patron Saint: St. Joseph

               The name of the place came from a term that was called for the path or road upwards with lots of turns (paliko-liko). The barrio was established in 1954 under the leadership of Ireneo Macaya. During that time, there is a bounty of food and harvest in the mountain, but the real problem of the residents is the lack of salt. Their place is about two days to reach by walking to and from the town proper (poblacion) of Alimodian.  

Monday, November 5, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Laylayan


Laylayan

Feast Day: April 5
Patron Saint: St. Vincent Ferrer

               The elderly folks of the barrio tells of a story that the name of the place came from "nagalaylay nga bala" (rounds of ammunition). During the time of the Spanish conquistadores, there was a group of brave Visayans, who won't surrender or give up to the Spaniards who put up their own house and settlements in this mountainous area. When the Spaniards learned about them, they attacked the place and fired with rounds of ammunition on these people which emit deafening shots. Rounds of ammunition or (nagalaylay nga bala) were heard when asked how did their men died. When peace returned to their land, they named their place Laylan in honor of these unnamed and unknown dead people. 
                The barrio was founded in 1880 under the leadership of Alejo Arellano as Teniente del Barrio. In 1920 during the incumbency of Sabas Quidado, the place was established as an independent barrio. During the Japanese Occupation, Segundo Misamen was the Teniente del Barrio (1940 - 1949). The rest of the people abandoned the place. 
                The first fiesta was celebrated on April 1940 in honor of their patron saint, St. Vincent Ferrer whose image was donated by Eusebio Bustillos and was made by Basilio Alibugha. The first priest to hold a mass in the barrio was Father Ismael Castaño. The first fiesta queen was Nelida Amantel.   
                 The center of barangay site was transferred to the upper part of the barrio during the term of Teniente Benjamin Misamen (1950-1959). The primary school was constructed during the incumbency of Teniente Pedro Magno (1960 - 1965) and the first teacher was Solomon Algallar. The school was finished during the term of Barangay Captain Leodico Bustillos - the longest serving captain of the barangay (1966-1988).

Alimodian Barangay - Ingwan


Ingwan 

Feast Day: 2nd Saturday of March
Patron Saint: St. Joseph Montana

               Based on the old documents, the name of the barrio came from a creek Ingwan which can still be found in the area. There are four sitios in the barangay when it was established in the 1920s under the leadership of Juan Anacan. The four sitios are Balentian, Luan-luan, Banco and Camanse.
              The barrio was hit by malaria and cholera epidemic in 1920 and many were killed. The residents abandoned the place. 
              In 1925  the people returned in Ingwan and they established the barrio in the southern part of the original area of settlements. In 1929 the center of the barrio was transferred to the northeast (takas patuo) of the second center. The fourth transfer took place in 1941 and they chose the western part of the original settlement site. At that time, Gregorio Allanic is the incumbent barangay captain. 

 

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Ginomoy


Ginomoy 

Feast Day: 3rd Saturday of February
Patron Saint: Our Lady Of Salvation

               According to the stories of elderly folks when the barrios don't have names yet, there was a heavy deluge and flood that affects this place even the floors of the houses situated in the hilly part of the area was reached and animals and other people can be seen swimming in the flood. It is just a wonder that not one animal or human has been drowned. If seen from afar, the animals and the people float in the water that sway (gahumoy-humoy) to the current of the flood. Since then the place was called Ginomoy.
               The barangay was established in February 1920 under the leadership of Tareno Tagurigan, the first teniente del barrio. The chosen patron saint was Our Lady of Salvation whose feast is celebrated every 3rd Saturday of February. Fiesta long before was unforgettable because there are lots of competition like boxing, buffalo, two bulls fighting, horse taming and cowboy competition, and disco at night with the music of a live band or orchestra. The first priest to hold mass in the barangay was Father Mariano Perez and their fiesta queen was Ofelia Algoraba.  

Alimodian Barangay - Gines


Gines

Feast Day: August 31
Patron Saint: Saint Raymond Nonnatus

               According to the Spanish documents, this place was called Aknib and covers four sitios: Malamhay, Tulong, Pinatayan and Bulaos. The barrio was established in 1832 under the leadership of Captain Agustin Anico. The town of Alimodian was governed then by Captain Agustin Montoy. The original residents of the place came from the families of Ciriaco Amban and Pascuala Gira. The name Gines came from reddish clay and a place called Hines by the residents. At that time there was already a priest assigned in that barrio. 
               The patron saint of Gines is Raymond Nonnatus. On May 10, 2007, the two image of St. Raymond was discovered by the people stolen in their chapel. Under the leadership of their captain, the images were found in a store in Mary Mart Mall, Iloilo City. Within seven days with the help of the police of the towns of Alimodian, Sta. Barbara and Iloilo City, the images were reclaimed. However, the much older image lost its two arms with one of its hand holding the "monstance" which was made out of gold. This replica of St. Raymond was said to be miraculous because the holder of the image was twice burned yet the image itself was unaffected.   

Alimodian Barangay - Dao


Dao

Feast Day: January 19
Patron Saint: Holy Child Jesus

               Barangay Dao was established only in 1982. Maximo Franco was the first barangay captain. The first fiesta was held on January 19, 1985 in honor of the Holy Child Jesus during the term of Simeon Ambut. The first priest to hold the mass in the place was Father Glorioso Gepolongca. The first fiesta queen was Olga Butanga. 
               Father Justiniano Hingco, the town's parish priest at the time, was instrumental in putting up the chapel of the barangay and the first couple to wed in the chapel were Milagros Amuallo Alinsangao, Merlina Calambro Quimot and Nenita Bayanero Anacan. 
               Aside from rice grains, maize, bananas, nuts and root crops, the residents prides itself in yielding and harvesting high value crops such as cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, sayote and ginger. The cleanliness and the awesome works of nature is also the one they can boast to tourist and contribution to the tourism of Alimodian.
               The barangay prides itself of some attraction like Maslog Creek with huge stone as big as a house and also the hanging bridge.   

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Dalid


Dalid

Feast Day: October 25
Patron Saint: Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary

               Long time ago according to a story, there was a young lad who was arrested by some delinquents, tortured and was tied to a large tree called Dalid. The young man struggle to get loose and escape but without luck until he fell asleep. Then he dream that in the large tree that he was tied there live some people and there is a celebration and dancing. He was invited by some maiden who are so beautiful it was his first time in his lifetime to see such a lovely pretty young ladies. When he woke up the next morning he is still tied up to the tree but he was very happy about the dream and he can never forget the dancing together with the women throughout the night. All of a sudden there's a heavy deluge that brought flood which carried the tree with the young man tied to it to the creek down through the river. The people saw in the banks of the river a suspended large tree with an unconscious man tied to it. The man only regained consciousness when he was brought up and fed by the people and cured of his injuries and bruises from severe torture. The young man could not believe he can survive the ordeal he suffered and also told the people about his dream. 
                The following day, there was a wedding in the place and there was a dance in the night. The people just amazed when there are lots of beautiful women who came and the young man is happy to see the beautiful women in his dreams again. The night is full of frolic fun, revelry and in festive mood until the midnight when the pretty ladies gradually disappear. One old man who is watching over his carabaos and cattles saw the pretty women passing by and when they reached the Dalid tree they all of a sudden disappear. Since then, the people believed that the Dalid tree which they found suspended in the bank of the river was an enchanted tree and that the ladies were fairies. When the time comes when the people discuss about the name of the place, they never think twice and choose Dalid as the name of their place because the tree brought happiness and inspiration most especially to the young men every time there is a feast or dancing in their place. 
                 Dalid was established in 1918 under the leadership of Teniente del Barrio Benigno Andutan. During his incumbency, Dalid Parochial School and the first chapel were built. On October 25, 1955 during the term of Captain Jose Tabiana, Sr. the first fiesta in the barangay was held in honor of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary with Monsignor Carlos Crucero officiating the mass.        

Alimodian Barangay - Cuyad


Cuyad

Feast Day: Last Saturday Of March
                  April 16 (Sitio Bugtong)

Patron Saint: St. Joseph
                      St. Vincent Ferrer (Sitio Bugtong)

               This place was a just a sitio of Barrio Baong before World War II. It only became a separate barrio in 1939 during the term of Juan Catanus. A school was built by the Protestants in this place because at that time 90 percent of the residents are Protestants. 
               There were three version as to the origin of the name of the place. The first version was that it came from the word "cayod" or struggle because during the separation from Barrio Baong, people resolved to just struggle "cayod  lang nga cayod" on their own not to rely on the barrio where it came from. 
                The second version, it came from the word "cuyab"  or fan. During the Spanish period, there are Spanish soldiers who pass by the place and saw people resting under the tree using the anahaw leaves as a fan. The Spaniards ask for the name of their place. There was a woman who answered "nagapanguyab kami kay masyado ka init" (we are fanning because it is too hot). A man also interrupted saying "amo dya ang cuyab" (this is a fan). Since then the place was called Cuyad.
                 The third version was about a wide, deep and long days of flooding that almost reach the highest places. The people see the flood as if they are like "uyad-uyad" or like waves in the ocean due to its length and strength. Since they are not affected by the flood and their place has no name yet, they just call it Uyad which later pronunciations became Cuyad. 
                  The feast of the barangay is held in Sitio Sibato every last Saturday of March in honor of St. Joseph. Sitio Bugtong is a sitio in Cuyad that celebrates their own separate fiesta in which most residents are Catholics. Sitio Bugtong held their first fiesta mass on April 16, 1985 during the term of Captain Hilario Valentin with Father Justiniano Hingco, parish priest of the town at the time officiating the mass.   

Alimodian Barangay - Cunsad


Cunsad 

Feast Day: January 16
Patron Saint: St. Roch

               According to the story that were passed on by generations, in 1900s there was a couple who passed by this place and they went thirsty. The woman asked his husband to find water using a twig he broke from a branch of a tree to dig underground in search for water. Following her order, there was sudden burst of water from the underground that quenched the thirst of the couple. They were so happy that they told the people about it when they went home. Since then, they called the place Cunsad from the word "bungsad" or dig. 
                In the 1940s, the families who were living in the barangays were the Andiano, Andig, Maliha-an, Quider, Alido, Alpuerto, Algar, Canogoran and Angeles families.  Most of them are devout Catholics so they choose St. Roch as a patron Saint. They believed that St. Roch helped to cure their illnesses, sickness and also some of their problems. Since it was World War II, there was no formal officials elected and chosen by the people. 
                In 1965, for the first time the people chose their teniente del Barrio who was Presentacion Angeles. It was also in this year that the barangay held their first fiesta. In 1969, the barrio produced their first college graduate. In 1970,  the barrio produced its first teacher.     

Friday, November 2, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Cagay


Cagay

Feast Day: 2nd Saturday of January
Patron Saint: Little Child Jesus

               According to the elderly people, this barangay could have been established as the town proper of Alimodian as this was the first barangay recognized by the Spanish government. This place is also known as Sibukawan as there were many sibukaw trees in the area. During the early Spanish occupation the place has several sitios namely: Balogo, Taytay, Danao, Agusukan Sulong and Bogtong. The name of the place came from the fiber named Cagay used to bundle bamboos which are used in making rafts that were ridden by people in crossing Aganan River. These cagay fibers are so bountiful surrounding this barangay. The fiber became a part of the residents here not only used as a rope for bundling but also used as a herbal alternative medicine use to cure stomach ache by boiling and drinking. 
               This place was also formerly called Caguinyan after the name of the place that has plenty of  bamboo and large wood and fruits from the river uphill. Until now the place still exist. It was believed that the leader of Cagay during the Spanish occupation was Ciriaco Alomia when the people still stage comedia plays. In 1910, the first Teniente del Barrio was Andres Alquidano. He ordered to clear the fields of these fibers and large trees to plant rice, maize and bananas which were the main mean source of income among the residents and under his term the barrio celebrated their first fiesta. He was succeeded by Monico Alquidano who propagated more bananas in the barrio. 
                In 1929 the barangay chose Nenita Alomia as their first Barangay Queen. Father Mariano Perez officiated the first mass in Cagay in 1934.  

Alimodian Barangay - Coline


Coline 

Feast Day: January 19
Patron Saint: St. Joseph

               Coline and Coline Dalag are situated in a small hill beside a wide plain in the middle of Alimodian and San Miguel. Rice grains is the main crop of the people. 
               According to the story, during the American occupation in the Philippines there is a group of American soldiers who are patrolling in this area and they went thirsty. They went to a house to ask some water to drink. They only gave sign languages as a communication because they don't understand each others language. After drinking, the couple who only has one child a girl invited the soldiers for a lunch. Their lunch consist of rice and fish that was a produce from the mud in the rice field they called "dalag" (mud fish). The soldiers really like the fish and they ask for some of it to be brought to their barracks. The father immediately went down few meters away from their home to catch some mudfish. One soldier followed him to see where to find the mudfish and how to catch it. The soldier kept asking the man while he is catching the fish but did not replied him back because he could not understand and speak English. When the man already caught a lot of fish, he called for his daughter "dara ti galon dya Nene kay sudlan ta kang dalag." (Nene bring me a gallon or pitcher so we can put the fish in there)
            The only words that the soldier can remember are "Galon, Nene, Dalag." So that when the soldier keep on returning in the place  to patrol and to look for that delicious fish, they kept on saying to the people the words "Galon, Nene , Dalag" until the residents were used to just call their place "Galon, Nene, Dalag." Later due to the length of the word, they shorten it to become Coline-Dalag. This is the only words of origin of the place that later became a barangay.
             When there is a gradual increase in settlement in the place, there is a group of families who established and created their separate barrio called Coline. Their close relationship to their neighbors of the old barrio never ceases until now. In their own belief, they are twin barrios. So when a school is about to be constructed for these two barangays, it was agreed by the people to build it in between the two barangays.   

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Coline-Dalag


Coline-Dalag 

Feast Day: 2nd Saturday of January
Patron Saint: Our Lady Of  The Most Holy Rosary


               Coline and Coline Dalag are situated in a small hill beside a wide plain in the middle of Alimodian and San Miguel. Rice grains is the main crop of the people. 
               According to the story, during the American occupation in the Philippines there is a group of American soldiers who are patrolling in this area and they went thirsty. They went to a house to ask some water to drink. They only gave sign languages as a communication because they don't understand each others language. After drinking, the couple who only has one child a girl invited the soldiers for a lunch. Their lunch consist of rice and fish that was a produce from the mud in the rice field they called "dalag" (mud fish). The soldiers really like the fish and they ask for some of it to be brought to their barracks. The father immediately went down few meters away from their home to catch some mudfish. One soldier followed him to see where to find the mudfish and how to catch it. The soldier kept asking the man while he is catching the fish but did not replied him back because he could not understand and speak English. When the man already caught a lot of fish, he called for his daughter "dara ti galon dya Nene kay sudlan ta kang dalag." (Nene bring me a gallon or pitcher so we can put the fish in there)
             The only words that the soldier can remember are "Galon, Nene, Dalag." So that when the soldier keep on returning in the place  to patrol and to look for that delicious fish, they kept on saying to the people the words "Galon, Nene , Dalag" until the residents were used to just call their place "Galon, Nene, Dalag." Later due to the length of the word, they shorten it to become Coline-Dalag. This is the only words of origin of the place that later became a barangay.
             When there is a gradual increase in settlement in the place, there is a group of families who established and created their separate barrio called Coline. Their close relationship to their neighbors of the old barrio never ceases until now. In their own belief, they are twin barrios. So when a school is about to be constructed for these two barangays, it was agreed by the people to build it in between the two barangays.   

Nuffnang Ad