World Visitors

Free counters!

Ocean Breeze Visitors Around The Globe

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Research Center of Iloilo: The History Of Iloilo Chapter 6 - 1850 - 1899

Chapter 6

1850-1899




* highlighted in violet is the approximate timeline or date


The Bond between Spain and Iloilo




Economic condition of Iloilo becomes stronger in 1880’s and the Ilonggo people indebted it to the Spanish government. Commercial trade is marked by ships freely goes in and out of Iloilo port bringing millions of money. There was a rapid growth. International firms and banks invest in Iloilo especially for sugar financing and granting of loans. Several office outlets opened in Iloilo; American, Basque, Catalan, Danish, Portuguese, Swiss  and Filipino entrepreneurs. Calle Real (now J.M. Basa Street) situated in the heart of downtown Iloilo served as the main shopping center of the town. Sugar barons Lucio Lacson, de la Rama and Eulogia Lopez built mansions.

"The Calle Real or High Street is a winding road which leads through the  town into the country. The houses are indescribable—they are of all styles. Without any pretense at architectural adornment, some are high, others low; some  stand back with several feet of pavement before them, others come forward and oblige one to walk in the road."

Source: John Foreham The Philippine Islands September, 1905 Third Edition



" The liveliness of the Escolta (Calle Real) pleased me.” - Jose Rizal




Jose Rizal in Iloilo

August 4, 1896. Dr. Jose Rizal passing through Iloilo on his way from Dapitan to Manila was much impressed by the appearance of the city. He wrote: “…The entrance to Iloilo is beautiful. From afar can be seen the white city set in water, a  nymph of galvanized iron, a modern creation, poetic in spirit of its iron uniform. Rizal went to a bazaar that was located at present-day Regent Theater or Cine Palace 1928 (Angayen 1973). The bazaar owned by a Lebanese, occupied a wide space in a squat-looking building similar to the other neighboring stores. The Lebanese store was selling stamps, buri hats and other souvenir items. Rizal bought a presentable buri hat and took again a quiles for Molo or Parian. He went to the house of Don Raymundo Melliza, a magistrate in the Supreme Court  of Cuba and a close friend and classmate of Rizal in Manila and Madrid who have just arrived from Cuba due to an increasing tension of Cuban fight for independence from Spain.



1870's Calle Iznart was  born

Iloilo had narrow streets and many swampy areas but with the joint  efforts of the officials and the residents, Iloilo slowly became a town fit to be called a city.The government of Manila approved the project to widen and improve the town of Iloilo in accordance with the indicated recommendations of Junta Consultativa and sanitize the mangroves still existing within the town limits. Calle Real was widened. Iznart was named after the Spanish alcalde-mayor of Iloilo Manuel Iznart in 1860's. Calle Real the main and most beautiful street of Iloilo City day after day as reported by El Eco de Panay.


Calle Ortiz was born

Don Joaquin Ortiz Sr -  was a Spanish noble and wealthy family born in 1798 in Estepa, Sevilla, Spain and had the title of Marques de Luna. He traveled around the  Philippines looking for a better location for establishing a business (shipyard) and he found that Iloilo was situated in the center of the Philippines and had  ample supply of timber for his ships. Here he decided to invest in shipping business. Frigates, batels and bergantins were what to be found being built in  his shipyard. It was also said that he built a beautiful Bergantine which he gave as a gift to Queen Maria Cristina de Bourbon. He donated parts of his property for the widening of the roads and making new ones and so becoming one of the pioneers of in the development of  the city. Because of this in appreciation and acknowledgment for his selfless act, the officials then named Ortiz Street after him. His donations are now part of J.M. Basa Street, Ortiz Street, Iznart Street, Rizal Street and Gen. Luna Street and a piece of the Plazoleta Gay.







Valeria Street

A street from General Luna up to Rizal traversing Delgado and Ledesma was named after Valeria Lopez Ledesma (born on April  27, 1866). She is the daughter of Anastacio Lopez Ledesma and Clara Jalandoni Lopez who donated that piece of land.

Source:  Ilonggo Initiatives: The Changing Face of  Business in Iloilo.




A Livable Iloilo




First Department Store in Philippines - Hoskyn 1877 -

The Englishman Henry Hoskyn, nephew of Nicholas Loney, the first British vice-consul in Iloilo paid P17,000 for the house and lot at the  midpoint of  Calle Real which became the site of the town's renowned luxury Hoskyn  Department Store reputed to be the Philippines' first real department store. It was also claimed as the first to introduce the “fixed price” policy in merchandising in the country and was known to be “the store that sold everything from needle to anchor”. It offered groceries, hardware, stationery, toys, watches, jewelry, machinery, buttons, threads, etc.
(Source: Articulos que  ordinariamente reciben y venden Hoskyn y ca. del  comercio de Iloilo,   1895).


First bookstore in the whole Visayas & Mindanao
1871 - Libreria y Imprenta la Panayana was founded in Mandurriao, Iloilo by Mariano Perfecto. It is perhaps the oldest existing almanac in the Philippines.

First Dictionary about Old Ilongo of Iloilo and Spanish spoken in 1800's
1876 - Cursos de lengua Panayana was published by Dominican Fr. Raymundo Lorano in Universidad de Santo Tomas explaining about Ilongo diction, nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, gerund, present, past future tense, sentence construction, etc.




1883 - First International Banks Opened in Iloilo




1883  - The Hongkong and Shanghai Bank was established in Iloilo on April 2, 1883 to facilitate the development of the sugar industry and other agricultural crops in the region. It gave financial assistance to Iloilo traders by extending import and export facilities and offering financial assistance for agricultural facilities, especially those related to the sugar industry.



1887 - Shops around Plazoleta Gay



Firms such as Ynchausti y cia. (Spanish), El Louvre (French),  Lizarraga Hermanos (Spanish) and Levy Hermanos & Co. (French) do business in Iloilo in the late 1880s. These establishments were noted merchants, capitalists and large commodities brokers. There were also other European and American firms dealing in maritime and fire insurance.

Alsoa number of  European specialty shops and retail stores were on hand selling hats, watches, naval supplies, etc. A piano studio, tailoring and  machine shops were moreover,  available. Furthermore, here was located Spanish and native establishments like Bazar Cosmopolitan, Cafe Colon, La Puerta del Sol, La  Espega de Oro, La  Zaragoza, and Tordecillas y ca. There was also  German-owned drugstore called Botica Antigua.

Source: Protocols 1601, Yloilo, March 31,  1887;  Contribuciones  industriales, Iloilo)


Telegraph in Iloilo
Under Spanish government there was a land telegraph service from Manila to all civilized parts of Luzon Island—also in Panay Island from Cápiz to Yloilo .

Source : John Foreham


Spanish Prohibition of Native Liquor
1855 - the Spaniards prohibited the sale of liquor except vino de estanco imported from Spain and sold only by the Spaniards. In pueblo of Dumangas, Mateo Dorilag revolted against this wine monopoly because they could not drink tuba – favorite native coconut wine.

Pueblo of Lucena. Fray Fernando Hernandez and Fray Mateo Serapio ordered the natives to speak Hiligaynon only and not Kinaray-a and those found violating will be met with the pain of severe punishment.

Electricity
The Panay Electric Co. started operating in 1921, although electricity was already available in Iloilo City as early as 1902 with the Iloilo Light Compony.




1863 - Spanish Reforms on Public Education




Through the education decree of December 20, 1863, Queen Isabella II of Spain decreed the establishment of a free public school system in Philippines using Spanish as the language of instruction increasing numbers of educated Ilonggos.
(Source: Nuevas Escuelas Publicas de Janiuay, Ilo-ilo, Recientemente Inauguradas, para niñas y niños. La Ilustracion Española Y Americana. 22 de  Setiembre de 1885)



Jaro Cathedral and  Plaza emerged





1865: Jaro became diocese - Pope Pius IX  in the Bull of Erection, “QUI AB INITIO”  on May 27,1865, of the  Diocese of Jaro insisted that the new bishop should found and organize a seminary as soon as possible.

1867 - The Archbishop of Manila, Most Rev. Gregorio Meliton Martinez carried out the decree into effect on October 10, 1867. "Decretum Executorium" was also signed by the Rev. Jose Burgos pro-secretary, a secular priest who became one of the outstanding martyr-heroes of the country.  At the time Most Rev. Mariano Cuartero, O.P., the appointed first bishop of  Jaro was still in Spain acting as General Procurator of the Dominican Order. He received episcopal ordination at the Dominican Seminary of Ocania, Spain on November 1867.

1868 - Saint Vincent Seminary in  Jaro - Father Gregorio Martinez officially became the first bishop of Jaro Diocese on April 25, 1868. The new bishop founded the Diocesan Seminary where he could train good pastors for the different parishes, which at that time were almost entirely under the spiritual administration of the Augustinians friars who were then regarded as the Fathers of Faith in  Panay.

Jaro was made separate from and independent of its mother  diocese of Cebu and became a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Manila. Its territories comprised the islands of Panay (now composed of the provinces of Iloilo, Capiz, Aklan, and Antique), Negros Island (now provinces of Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental), Romblon, Palawan and Jolo groups, and the  provinces of Cotabato, Zamboanga and Davao in Mindanao.

Lapaz - This district became an independent parish in  1868

Colegio de San  Jose
1872 – Colegio de San Jose  had its  humble beginning in 1872. Reverend Father Ildefonso Moral, C.M., Rector of Jaro  Archdiocesan Seminary and Don Recardo Mascuñana signed the contract of its  establishment on July 9, 1871.




Cabeza de Barangay - Honored in Jaro Cathedral




Don Manuel Javellana and Doña Gertrudis Lopez son is Don Cristino Javella y Lopez (photo above) became cabeza de barangay in Jaro. He was born in 1850 as devout Catholic, he was among those who helped build the Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Metropolitan  Cathedral (more popularly known today as the Jaro Metropolitan Cathedral) which was started in 1864. His first wife Baldomera Ledesma bore him with a son Cirilo. His remains were interred in one of the 12 columns along the aisle of the St. Elizabeth of Hungary Metropolitan Cathedral in Jaro together with his son Cirilo. Carved in the gravestone were:

RESTOS MORTALES DE
D. CRISTINO Y CIRILO
JAVELLANA


1886 - Queen Regent made Jaro as City




Newly discovered technologies continue to arrive in Iloilo international port in 1880's. Various international stores and hotels are found in Calle Real. Several banks were opened to cater the bulk of money flow from countries of the world.

1886 – Queen of Spain made the town of Jaro as a city ( Ayuntamiento).  It covers Lapaz area. Eugenio Lopez was the last gobernadorcillo in 1876. He served as regidor or council. When news of revolution came to Jaro.

1889 -  By October 5, the Queen of Spain royal decree officially elevated Iloilo as a city.



En Edioma Espanol
"“A propuesta del Ministro de Ultramar, y teniendo en cuenta el creciente desarrollo que en la industria y el commercio ha alcanzado la cabecera de la provincia de IloIlo, la más importante de las islas de Filipinas, despues de la de Manila; En nombre de mi Augusto Hijo el Rey D. Alfonso XIII, y como Reina Regente del Reino, Vengo en conceder " el titulo de la Ciudad"  á la cabecera de IloIlo, en dichas islas. Dado en San Sebastian á cinco de Octubre de mil ochocientos ochenta y nueve. Maria Cristina”

English Translation
 " With the proposal of Foreign Minester , taking into account the increasing development in the industry and the commerce has reached the capital of the province of Ilo-Ilo, the most important  of the islands of the Philippines, after the Manila, on behalf of my August son Don King Alfonso XIII, and as Queen Regent of the Kingdom, I hereby grant the title of the City at the Capital of IloIlo, in these islands. Given in San Sebastian to October 5 of 1889. Mary Christene "




Iloilo Is Legally Founded As  A City - January 31, 1890




Old Iloilo City Presidencia and the Royal Seal of Iloilo City bearing the label which translates in English as Ever Royal and Noble City of Iloilo. 

By November 12, overseas minister Manuel Becerra promulgated a law in a Spanish Cortes (Court) establishing the City Hall. After the signing of a superior decree of 31 January 1890 was signed and Iloilo was granted the authority to have its own city council the right to organize Ayuntamiento (photo) similar to those of the municipalities of Spain. Iloilo City hall was established on February 7, 1890 with Don Tirso Lizarraga as alcalde mayor with Don Sabino Ordaz and Don Isidro de la Rama as tenientes de alcade, and nine councilors. Iloilo became a twin-city of Queen of Spain.



March 1897 - First Bank Outside Manila




Previously known as El Banco Español Filipino de Isabel II, Banco de las Islas Filipinas the oldest bank in the Philippines and the first to print Philippine currency opened in Iloilo on March 15, 1897.



1897 - Tagalog Sedition was threat to Iloilo Economy




To A Cultured Society of Iloilo - Insurgencies is disrespect and ingratitude.

A great threat to the International trade of Iloilo.

Iloilo progress economically and socially at late 1800's. Through Spanish reforms on education and economics, the Philippines became the second country in the whole of Asia in economics, education and culture. Ilonggo society attributes these socio-economic progress to the Spanish government. The news of revolution have reached Iloilo to a cultured spirit of Iloilo its a sign of ingratitude to the Spanish government. Moreover, a threat to their economy and  international trade. A sign of progress was underscore by establishment of the first bank outside Manila in Iloilo.


A sense of debt of gratitude swept whole Iloilo

A few days after the Cry of Balintawak. The Ayuntamiento (municipal council) of Jaro was the first to condemn by way of a resolution in September 1, the revolution as "an unpatriotic act" that finds no echo in the hearts of the Jarenos". The Ayuntamiento of Iloilo followed suit and organized the Iloilo Battalion. Driven by  outpouring love and loyalty toward Spain. A volunteer infantry called "Voluntarios" were recruited. Five hundred native troops of strong and brave Ilonggos, Jaro and Iloilo and the adjoining prosperous towns of Molo, Arevalo, Oton and Sta. Barbara and the more distant northern and eastern pueblos.






Ilonggo Sentiments Governed Calle Real

Martin Delgado, Quintin Salas, Pedro Monteclaro and Adriano Hernandez were among the officers of the battalion gathered and plan to quell the revolutionaries in Manila.the Ilonggo Volunteers gathered at Plaza Alfonso XII (present-day Plaza Libertad) or blessings prior to their departure to Manila. A massive overflow of pro-Spanish patriotism marked the occasion that was attended, in full force, by local Spanish authorities and the Iloilo Ayuntamiento. Diario de Manila, the Ilongo Volunteers embarked on the ship Brutus as folk heroes, cheered by the people who sent them off en masse. Bishop Leandro Arrue and the city officials, led by Governor Ricardo Monet, joined the multitude that wished the Ilongo volunteers luck in their fight for the Mother Country.



Eugenio and Esteban - Ilongos United Leales




Fund-raising to fortify the Ilongo and Spanish battalion divided into two companies, the Volunteer battalion arrived in Manila on 16 January 1897. It easily became one of the largest native contingent to serve the government forces against the insurgent soldiers of General Emilio Aguinaldo in the battlegrounds of Cavite province. Regular financial contributions mainly from the families of the Ilonggo elite supported the Ilonggo Volunteers throughout their years of service. The first fund raising campaign in March 1897 generated some 1,615 pesos. Among the leading contributors were Felix de la Rama and Eugenio Lopez, as well as other urban elite families from both Iloilo and Jaro. Before this, as per the report of Diario de Manila, some 40,000 pesos had already been collected when the Ilonggo Battalion embarked for Manila, 'an amount at the time that would last them for four months.....'

Two Ilongo sugar barons wanted to stop the Tagalogs insurgency. One is Don Eugenio Lopez and Don Esteban De La Rama .




1898: La Muy Noble y Leal Ciudad de Iloilo
























Saturday, February 17, 2018

Research Center of Iloilo: The History Of Iloilo Chapter 5 - 1800's

Chapter 5
1800's




* highlighted in violet is the approximate timeline or date


Spanish Economic Reform- Sugar Industry




Manila-Acapulco galleon trade was closed in 1815 due to low profitability. At the turn of century, sugar turned from being a luxury in Europe into a necessity. There was high demand for sugar prompting Spain to execute economic reforms by opening sugar industry to the world market and support the sugarcane farming in Philippines. Port of Manila opened to foreign trade in 1837 was followed by a period of rising industry and prosperity.

In Iloilo it exported tobacco leaf, sugar, sapan or dyewood (an industry long ago ruined), hemp (Lanot), and hides.This  motivated large scale near-enslavement by Ilongo Sugar Barons in Negros Occidental. 




The advent of Steam-Ships-  "saved the day"




Industrial Revolution hits America and Europe. Spain bought steam-propelled ships from Great Britain. As a result, the export increase exponentially because steamships are more speedy than sail-ships and Spanish easily captured pirates in the waters of Negros Occidental. International seaport opened in Iloilo forged  widespread construction of beautiful concrete churches and mansions in Iloilo. Increasing wealth allowed middle-class mestizo parents to send their sons to universities both at home and abroad.  Calle Real was vitalized as major  port next to Manila that sell sugar to Europe, Australia and America.



A Dangerous Land turned opportunity for Ilongos




The Spanish government neglect of Negros  Occidental made habitation in the area dangerous for the indigenous population and lacking in social and physical  amenities for foreign colonials. Most of the towns in Negros has no concrete church because they cannot afford to construct one. There’s also hostilities with the mountain folks, the ambaks and mundos. An apocrypha writings says,

“As  far as  could be determined, the earliest people in these localities were the  semisavage  Mondos and Ambaks. Traders in sailboats from Panay used to land at [Barrio] Talisay to replenish their food and water supply and brought back to  their home  island (Panay) stories of the potentialities of fishing and farming in the land  they had visited. Slowly but steadily Malay settlers from Panay  came and drove  the Mondos and Ambaks to the interior”


Brutal Life in Negros Occidental

Life in western Negros remained brutish and insecure. Local inhabitants are often defenseless from Moro pirates who plundered the coastal settlements in search of goods and slaves usually destroying what they could not carry away. Even the Spanish governor of Negros was held captive in 1771. Potentiating their
poverty.

Pirates inflict misery in Negros Occidental

In 1829, Moros captured a hundred or so natives from Bacolod, Talisay, and Silay as slaves. When Spain opened the sugar commerce to the world, Negros received attention from Spanish government fortifying defense to protect the laborers in sugarcane plantation through governors Luis Villasis (1833-40) and José Saenz y Vizmanos(1840-48) finally eliminated until the time of Governor Emilio Saravia that in 1857, he defeated them in the waters off Silay. Shortly after this engagement, the government stationed two steam gunboats to patrol the  Guimaras Strait, discouraging further pirate depredations.

Once Pirates cleared- Hacienderos in

Once the pirates has been cleared, large numbers of hacienderos from Jaro and Molo, Iloilo begun to purchase vast lands from Binalbagan to Bago up to Silay and Cadiz converting these deep jungle into sugarlandia. It was cheap due to its value. From 35,007 population in 1845 it soared 5 times fold in 1886 to 154, 408.

Arrival of Chinese, British and Swiss in Iloilo for Commerce

In 1834, the Spanish allowed both non-Spanish Westerners and Chinese immigrants to settle anywhere in the islands. Chinese arrived in Iloilo were Lopez, Lacson and Locsin. They interbred with the locals and adopted Hiligaynon dialect. These Chinese descent invested their money to purchase several lands in Negros. It was a lucrative business. At a span of a decade, they became prosperous and begun to build mansions in Iloilo. On the other island, an extreme exploitation of poor peasants  goes on to decades and century.


Ilonggo founded  the town of Eustacio Lopez ( Silay)




Eustacio Lopez of Jaro, whose famous first cousin is Graciano Lopez Jaena ( their fathers are brothers Fermin and Placido respectively) owned 18 Hacienda in Silay founded Hacienda Dalinson in Kabankalan Norte and changed it into his name E. Lopez because he owned 99% of the town. It is here where Don Eustacio hide his first cousin Graciano  Lopez due to fear of Spanish reprisal  of his famous anti-friar propaganda“ Fray Botod’. Don Eustacio offered money and send his close cousin to Spain. Another brother of Fermin is Claudio Lopez, an honorary associate consul of Portugal.

Don Bernardino Jalandoni & Dona Ysabel Lopez Ledesma of Jaro settled in Silay, Negros Occidental.  Jose Ledesma and his wife Magdalena Ledesma followed.



Ilonggo founded a new town, Pulupandan




Vicenta Yanzon Locsin from Molo with his husband, Don Agustin Montilla petitioned the Spanish governor for the official recognition of his new agricultural settlement (estancia) at the visita in Pulupandan, town of Bago, he assured the  government that he could adequately protect his laborers from the Moros who stopped at the nearby island of Inampulugan, with 118 laborers rice, coconuts, cotton, abaca, maize and mongo beans. Population grew that mantilla ask to erect a chapel because its tiresome for his 800 villagers to go to Bago to hear mass on Sunday. Isabela (Haciendas Bonifacio, Josefa, and Espana). Their  children are Lina, Julian, Bonifacio, Eustaquia, Domingo, Josefa, Petronila, and  Juana.
Founded 1898.




Ilonggos building Bago




1891 - Juan Araneta of Molo after loosing his Hacienda in Bago. He founded Hacienda Fermina in Dinapalan and Ma-ao, Bago. He has a very large family with 25 children. The house of General Juan Araneta in Bago City was built towards the end of the 19th century and stands today as the Araneta  Museum.Bago was founded as town.


Ilongos  founded  Pontevedra.

Basilio Lopez and Sabina Jalandoni purchased vast lands in  Hacienda Silay-Saravia and their child Eulogia acquired 2 haciendas in Victorias  of 125 hectares, their son Eugenio acquired 535 hectares in Casalagan, Pontevedra half of it given to his son Don Benito, who became a governor of  Iloilo.


Ilonggos Building Talisay




1840 - Lucio Lacson y Petronila and Clara Ledesma of Iloilo from Molo acquired a vast estate in Talisay and cultivated it for sugar plantation. He became the second richest planters in Negros. He built the beautiful mansion in Molo. His child is Mariano Lacson y Ledesma had built mansion. Another one of their 7 children,  Aniceto Lacson y Ledesma of Molo and married to Rosario Araneta with 11 children operated the vast hacienda Matabang in Talisay with his second wife, Magdalena Torres. He  had 10 children. He becomes one of the richest man in Negros and lead the freedom of the land from the Spanish regime and became its president. It was founded as town 1840-1850.


Ilonggos in Sagay




Eugenio Lopez y Jalandoni from Jaro had a child, Don Gil Lopez (born 1870) married Dona Albin Hofileña who at the time in the late 1890 was a pen-pal of the country's hero, Graciano Lopez- Jaena. During the revolution of 1898, it was Don Gil Lopez who led the revolutionary forces from the Sagay-Cadiz  area. He is also a famous violinist. Two of Albina aunt had married two Lopez brothers; Elena Hofilena married Vicente Lopez and Presentacion Hofilena married Benito Lopez. They are the  parents of tycoon Eugenio Lopez and former Vice-President Fernando Lopez.


Ilonggo  founded a new town of Manapla

In  1890, Catalino and Fortunato Valderrama, sons of a Chinese immigrant convert and his Ilonggo wife left their home in Molo in Iloilo at a youthful age when the cloth business that had sustained their parents no longer produced profits. He oversaw the clearing of some 300 hectares of frontier in Cadiz then opening up to settlement and established the  place called Manapla. During the following decade his younger brother  established Hacienda Nazareth on 400 hectares in newly established town of Manapla.
Founded 1886-1898.


Ilonggos of Binalbagan &  Isabela (MoisesPadilla included)




Don Ignacio Lacson-Arroyo (photo above) was a cabeza de barangay of Molo, Iloilo. He was the son of Pedro Arroyo of Molo and Apolonia Lacson. He owned vast hacienda in Isabela, Hinigaran and La Castellana. His son Mariano became governor of Iloilo in 1928, his daughter founded the Dominican Sisters of the Most Holy Rosary in Molo, his son Jose Maria became senator in 1919, he had married Jesusa Araneta-Lacson.

Agapito Villavicencio Montero, a native of Mandurriao, Iloilo was born on August 18,1855 and at the tender age of 18 years married Maximiana Mesa Abeto and settled in Binalbagan. The couple acquired properties in Binalbagan which is now known as Hacienda Loreto and Hacienda Alimango. They bore 14 children many of whom died in their infancy and young  adulthood while nine children survived and eight of whom married. Their descendants
becomes prominent people of Himamaylan, Binalbagan and Isabela after the World War II. Some Yulos settled in Binalbagan.
1850-1886 founding years as a town


Ilongos of Hinigaran and Himamaylan



Hinigaran prominent people were the families of  Yulo, Mongcal, Dano-og, Curio, Sarrosa, David, Pido, Pabalinas, Saril Luntayao and Grijaldo. They came mostly from Miag-ao and Guimbal towns  in Iloilo Province. The demand for sugar by foreign firms stirred the interest of the people of Panay to acquire more lands for cultivation of sugar. The elite of Molo chose Hinigaran as the place for their haciendas. The Yulo’s of Hinigaran and Binalbagan produced Mariano Yulo, a former Senator from 1928 to 1931. Gatuslao from Guimbal settled in Himamaylan and begun to clear the vast jungle and converted it to sugarcane producing estates. The Yulo’s of Hinigaran Binalbagan produced Mariano Yulo a former Senator from 1928 to 1931.


1800-1850- Founding years

Sources: Gu ía de forasteros in las Islas Filipinas, para el año 1850 (Manila: Los Amigos del Pals, 1850pp. 284-91; Guía oficial de Filipinas . 1886 (Manila: Ramirez y Giraudier, 1885), pp. 661-62; Guía oficial de las Islas Filipinas para 1898 (Manila: Chofré, 1898)



Ilonggo founded a new town La Carlota



Don Felix Locsin-Melitante Araneta was born on March 18, 1840 in Molo, Iloilo, one of the pioneer hacienderos of Negros Occidental. He acquired a huge estate in Mangkas. He named it “Hacienda Paz”after his wife Paz Ditching Soriano from Molo also. Their fifth child, Marciano S. Araneta (photo above) led the  revolutionary that attacked the headquarters of the Spanish officials, their child a Surgeon Araneta in Molo leads comite in Iloilo and child in Manila active with Aguinaldo. 1850-1886 Founded as town.

Rodrigo Araneta Montinola of Jaro, Iloilo owned Hacienda Estela after his daughter with Felisa Jalandoni. They have built a house in Jaro called RAM.



Doña Matilde Jalandoni Montinola




Isabel Araneta, daughter of Don Felix Araneta married Roque Lacson Sanson having a son named Alfredo Araneta Sanson.
Alfredo married Dona Matilde Jalandoni Montinola of Jaro and built a mansion in Jaro called Sanson y Montinola Antillan House.
The house is given to their son Gregorio Montinola Sanson with her wife Marilou Lorca Tirol of Jaro.


1818 - Molo separated and became a town




1818  - When nearby Arevalo became the capital of the alcaldia de Ylong-ylong (Province  of Iloilo), Molo was its mere suburb and the capital was transferred to Iloilo until 1818 when it became a pueblo. Casa Real (municipal  hall) was constructed and is still standing beside the Molo church. During the American regime it became a mere part of the town of Iloilo  in 1903 and in  1937  became a  district of the City of Iloilo. Prominent families like Lacson, Locsin and Araneta emerged in this area. Sugar brought prosperity to these families that enable to send their children in Manila for education and instrumental in uprising both in Iloilo and Negros Occidental.

1831 - The church of Molo was constructed under the the office of   Rev. Fr. Pablo Montano as parish priest. It was completed during the time of Rev. Fr. Agapito Buenaflor. It is said to be one of the most beautiful churches in Western Visayas.


Spanish Towns of Iloilo 1834




9 new towns emerged such as Cabatuan, Santa Barbara and Maasin as distinct from Jaro, town of Camando is still on its old name, town of Angoy (now called San Miguel), Mandurriao appeared, Lambunao separated from Laglag , Janiuay and Tubungan appeared.

Previous 15 Spanish Towns are Jaro, Molo, Arevalo, Iloilo
Laglag now termed as Dingle, Guimbal, Tigbaun, Oton, Dumangas, Anilao, Banate, Barotac, Pase and Alimodian. However Ajuy disappeared and now Pili appeared.

A total of 24 towns were established in the province of Iloilo by 1834 after 100 years from 1874.




Jaro prospered




1840 - Gabriel Lafond de Lurcy a French drew this picture of Jaro society in his book


The vast sugar plantations and industry brought prosperity to many families of Jaro such as Jalandoni, Lopez, Ledesma, Javelona and Montinola. With sufficient profits, the Spanish government started building of schools and cathedral in Jaro. It became the center of faith in Iloilo and ecclesiastical instruction. Several families around Iloilo now have access to education. Other families were able to send their children to Manila to study in Letran and Santo Tomas and even in Spain.

1840 - Gabriel Lafond de Lurcy a French drew this picture of Jaro society in his book

“ Haro is much bigger in size than Iloilo; it is a rich town of mestizos who own great fortunes…the people of Haro are more civilized than those of the other neighboring towns (Molo and Iloilo). The color of their skin is whiter, consequence of a great mixture of European blood; and Spanish is spoken better there than in any place in the colony, the Capital excepted; the women are very beautiful and I can give assurance of this, having had the pleasure of being amongst them, that they have grace and figure and the features, which would call attention even in Europe. They show taste in their dress, which is rich and elegant and, like all mestizas, they show a lot of spirit.”

Source:  Quinze Ans de Voyage Autor de Monde Vol. II ( 1840)



Britishman offered Loan and technology




1855 - The  production of sugars in Negros Occidental increased tremendously. It prompted the Spanish government to open the port of Iloilo to international trade without passing Manila. Nicholas  Loney, a British merchant settled in Iloilo in the following year bringing machineries  and European technology that improves  yield and improved the quality of Iloilo sugar to world market standards. Many families of Jaro and Molo prospered and built historic mansions. During that time, sugar was already being  grown sporadically throughout Panay but not on a vast plantation-type scale. In 1855 before Loney arrived in Iloilo City, Panay produced an average of only 750 tons of sugar a year. By 1860 five years after he arrived in Iloilo City,  Philippine sugar exports rose tenfold to 7,500 tons!  Loney established his own export-import company in 1860 and with his brother Robert who had acquired a hacienda on Negros a year later.

"I could mention the names of half a dozen real-estate owners in Yloilo Province who having started with nothing somehow found themselves possessing comparatively large fortunes at the time of the liquidation."

1858  -  Sir John Bowring, a former British governor of Hong Kong visiting Iloilo in 1858 was so impressed by what he saw, that he wrote in his book, A Visit to the  Philippines (1859) the following:

"The province is not only one of the most numerously peopled, it is perhaps the most productive in agricultural and most active in manufacturing, industry and among the best instructed of the Philippines. It has extensive and cultivated plains and its roads are among the best seen in the archipelago.”

A Custom-house was established and port opened in Zamboanga (Mindanao Is.) for direct communication with abroad in 1831; those of Sual (Pangasinán) and Yloilo (Panay Is.) in 1855, and that of Cebú in 1863

Source: John Foreham The Philippine Islands Septmber 1905 Third Edition

Ilongo Families migrated to Negros Occidental and their extinction in Iloilo

Inspired by good profits, several Ilongo families who have capital decided to move to Negros Occidental. Among the prominent families at the head of the Ilonggo migration to Negros in the 19th century were the Bellezas, Consings, Conlus, De la Ramas, Lacsons, Lazaros, Locsins, Magalonas, Mellizas and Montelibanos of Molo; the Benedictos, Gamboas, Hernaezes, Hilados, Hofilenas, Jaymes, Jisons, Ledesmas, Lopezes, and Severinos of Jaro; the Belmontes, Cuaycongs and Mondragons of Mandurriao; and the Navals and Vitos of Capiz (Varona 1938). These families generally settled in  the central and northern sections of the western side of Negros.

The earliest recorded direct foreign exportation from Iloilo port took place when the Brigantine, a Portuguese ship loaded some 500 piculs of sibucao (dye wood) for the colony of Macau

Robustiano Echaúz wrote in his published book in 1894 entitled “Apuntes de la  Isla de Negros” or “Sketches of the Island of Negros”:

“Los insulares de Jaro y Molo, van á Negros; Simeón Ledesma y Lucio Lacson, se dirigen á Minuluan, dan  trazado á sus propiedades, forma el primero con Cornelio Hilado, su portentosa hacienda Bagacay, el segundo, su grande y hermoso Matabang, y se abren las de Binonga y otras muchas”.

“Filipinos from Jaro and Molo came to Negros. Simeon Ledesma and Lucio Lacson settled in Minuluan where they laid out the boundaries of their properties. Ledesma and Cornelio Hilado created their wonderful Hacienda Bagacay. Lacson built the big and beautiful Hacienda Matabang. Haciendas at Binonga and many others were also established”. (Donn V. Hart in 1978)


Custom House in Iloilo




In order to evade the payment of the Manila Port Works Tax for which no value was given, large quantities of piece-goods for Manila were shipped from Europe to Yloilo passed through the custom house there and re-shipped in inter-island steamers to Manila. In 1890 some two-thirds of the Yloilo foreign imports were for re-shipment.

Between Yloilo and the adjoining Province of Antique, the district of Concepcion and the islands of Negros and Cebú, there were some half-dozen small steamers belonging to Filipinos and Spaniards running regularly with passengers and merchandise whilst in the sugar-producing season—from January to May—they were fully freighted with cargoes of this staple article.

The carrying-trade in sailing craft between the islands was chiefly in the hands of natives and half-castes. There were also a few Spanish sailing-ship owners and in the Port of Yloilo a few schooners (called lorchas) loading from 40 to 100 tons of sugar were the property of foreigners under the nominal ownership of Spanish subjects for the reasons mentioned in the preceding page.

Source : John Foreman The Philippine Islands Septmber 1905 Third Edition



1855 - Iloilo International Port opened




"In his early dealings, Loney took cash loans from the prominent American firm of Russell, Sturgis and Company which put up its own branch in Iloilo in 1863. Subsequently, the other American merchant house in the Philippines, Peele, Hubbell and Company and such British firms as Smith, Bell and Company and Warner, Barnes and Company entered the sugar business encouraging the growth of the industry on Negros. Together these houses dominated foreign export of sugar from Iloilo and became the chief suppliers of imported goods and machinery as well as a source of credit to  Negros planters. Iloilo opened to international commerce in 1855 making it  possible for exporters to bypass Manila as a transshipment point and thus to  reduce shipping costs. By the mid-1860s Iloilo became the chief port for Negros mat, a position it held throughout the remainder of the period."

It was such a noisy busy street of port of Iloilo which later called Muelle Loney to honor the British who contributed extensively for the sugar industry boom with direct commerce to Europe, America and Australia. Upon the discovery of lights, railways and other modern conveniences Iloilo take advantage of them.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Research Center of Iloilo: The History Of Iloilo Chapter 4 - 1700's

Chapter 4 

1700's





* highlighted in violet is the approximate timeline or date


Life  Situation in Iloilo




Spanish Imports  through Manila-Acapulco

It was not easy for the Spanish to convince the Ilongos to subject to their rule often meet with resistance. Slowly as towns were founded a more advanced knowledge on agriculture were introduced so as to increase the yield. Through Manila-Acapulco route, Spanish brought crops indigenous in South America to Iloilo such as corn, chili, cacao, tomatoes, potato and pineapple and soon Philippines exports tobacco, sugar, corn and coffee.

Life in 1700's was brutish as most part of the world even in Americas. There was no concrete road, communication and transportation was facilitated by horses or carabaos through a difficult path or road that leads to remote towns in Iloilo that was newly established. Since there were no bridges in streams and rivers, boating is the most convenient way of travelling from Jaro to Cabatuan using the Salog River, Tigum river going to Leon, Jalaur River, from Dumangas to Calinog passing Pototan, Passi.  Northern Villages used boat going to Salog since there was no road in Barotac Viejo and crossing a steep mountain is exhausting. Electricity and light was not yet discovered. All of native homes were made of bamboo.

"To these productions the Spaniards have added horses and horned cattle, which  have multiplied so much that they are to be found in the mountains without an owner, and where those that want may supply their wants at pleasure. They likewise introduced sheep, geese, grapes, figs, wheat, pepper, coffee, cocoa, sugar, tobacco, and various species of plants, which thrive so well, and produce so much, that the Indian, with all his sloth, acknowledges the utility of cultivating them."

Source: Historical view of Philippine Islands by Zuniga published 1803




Second Wave of foundation of towns




The Spread of Catholic Religion And Western Civilization.

The  slow and steady population growth of various barangays in Iloilo prompted the Spanish authorities to convert them into  pueblos (town) to execute its political management effectively.  Building a town was under the regulation of "The Law of Indies or Leyes de Indias (native people)" issued by the Spanish Crown in 1573.

It is stipulated to design a township with parish priest, gobernadorcillo,  municipal building,  plaza mayor, a cemetery and a market. Often villages names were changed small villages are absorbed into a town. Guimbal (1703), Miag-ao (1716), Leon (1730), Cabatuan (1733), Igbaras (1761), Janiuay (1769), Tubungan 91768), Santa Barbara, Maasin, Janiuay and among the first group of villages that were given a pueblo (town hood) status. These towns followed the pattern prescribed by the Law of the Indies. However churches, cemeteries and municipal buildings were constructed mostly in 1800's. Catholic religious system became a part of Ilonggo lives in a year and have great impact on Ilonggo family life especially on rule of marriage custom.

Source: Recopilación de las Leyes de Indias. Titulo Quince. De las Audiencias y Chancillerias Reales de las Indias. Spain 1680.


1703 - Guimbal turned as new town, separating from Tigbaun.




For the Spanish, Guimbal has been a sitio of Tigbaun with its small communities who were under the visita of Tigbaun for years.  Spaniards extended its parish there in 1703 and immediately selected its civil leader by the name of Bernardino Anacan. Since 1703, all capitanes were properly recorded up to its present officials. A Spanish friar by the name of Father Blas Urbina was the founder of the town and was also the one who introduced the Catholic religion in the town bringing the Spanish civilization. Nuestra Senora de Consolacion was the first patron saint of Guimbal and in 1704, a new patron saint was adopted by the name of St. Nicholas de Tolentino. Guimbal encompasses the village of Tubungan as its visita.



1716 - Miag-ao becomes a Pueblo




Like all its neigbooring villages such as Guimbal and Tigbaun, Miag-ao has been an "arrabal of Oton" until 1580 when it was absorved by Suaraga or Suaragan (now San Joaquin) due to its proximity. When Guimbal separated from Tigbaun in 1703 to become a distinct town,  Miag-ao  was considered as village part of Guimbal. In 1716, the village of Miag-ao was converted into a town. Nicolas Pangkug whose teniente mayor of Guimbal served for three consecutive terms of one year each from 1731-1733 1735 and 1739-1740, of  Tigbauan until 1752. People of Miag-ao had faced different Muslim Pirates in 1741 and one in 1754.


Construction of Miag-ao Fortress Church

1786 - Spanish  Augustinian missionaries, under Fray Francisco Gonzales, parish priest of the  town and Spanish gobernadorcillo Domingo Libo-on. It took a decade to build the  edifice, and served as the town's fortress against Moro raiders. The fortress  design, composed of massive stone walls at 1.5-meters
thick and strong four-meter-thick buttresses. The belfries served as a watchtower. Concrete slabs of “ Igang” (sandstone), making up the original church, were hauled from Sitio Tubog in nearby San Joaquin town and from the mountains of Igbaras. The sandstones were bonded by lime mortar. A native from
Igbaras named Matias is  said to be the foreman who supervised the early construction of the church until he was replaced by a certain Aquino, a native from Alimodian, according to the church's historical records.


Capiz and Romblon becomes politically independent from Iloilo

1716 - Capiz  Province separated from jurisdiction of Iloilo as distinct polito-military commandencia  with it’s down Military and Political Governor. At the same time , Romblon was  annexed to Capiz.

Jaro Church

1726  - Jaro  Church across the street from the plaza was first built before 1726 by Fr. Bernardino Alisen. It was relocated to its current site by Fr. Bernardino Alisen and completed from 1742 to 1744 by Fr. Juan Aguado. Belfry was built by the Spaniards, and while the structure was essentially a religious shrine, it also served as a military watchtower closely watching ships that is visiting Iloilo.  Jaro Parish kept records of  all baptismal marriage and burial records. However, in 1787 the Jaro Belfry was heavily damaged by a powerful earthquake. It was not until 1883, several  decades later, that any attempt at reconstructing the place began through the  efforts of Father Jesse Alvarez.







Letter of Bishop Sebastian Foronda, O.S.A. dated May 11, 1714 in Capiz.



There are 7 Spanish Towns composed of their respective  several large villages

1. Passi which covers the ancient settlement of Guayahon , Lupa and Cabonga

2. Laglag covers the ancient settlement of Lambunao , Sumanding and Sibucao

3. Dumangas which covers ancient villages of Hapitan , Anilao and Talaugis

4. Xaro which covers large  ancient  hamlets of Catmon and Abay

5. Octong covers Iguang ang Taytay

6. Tigbaun which covers Langao and Hagua

7. The newly establish Spanish town of Guimbal covers villages of Miag-ao and Igbaras



1730 - A village or barrio, Camando (present-day Leon town) becomes a Pueblo     


1730 - The Municipality of Leon was  formerly known as Camando which was founded in the year 1730 with Mr. Bernabe Buncag as the gobernadorcillo




1733 - Cabatuan becomes a  Pueblo




1733 - Cabatuan was officially organized as town of Iloilo upon the installation of  Rev. Fr. Antonio Lopez as its first priest and Capitan Tono as its first  “gobernadorcillo.”  Parish Priest of Cabatuan visits a small village of Maasin to conduct sacramental baptism and marriage.

As testified by a Jesuit writer, there were  identified ministries in early towns of Iloilo and surprisingly , several towns that has not been founded yet were
not included as they were only a visita status .


“In the province of Otón, in the same island, the convents and ministries of Magao, Antique, Bugason,
Tigbauan, Cabutuan, Laglag, Pasi, Anilao, Dumangas, the island of Guimarás, Jaro, Otón,
and Guimbal, with several missions of wild people[cimarrones] in the mountains, apostates and their children, in which the care and zeal of the same fathers has been exercised since the year 1731, and in
which the gain and profit of many souls is not wanting.”

Source: Religious Condition of the Islands, by Juan J. Delgado, S.J. (written in 1751–54)

Negros Occidental no longer part of Iloilo Province.

1734 - Negros  Occidental became a province apart from Iloilo tax  payments in kind continued going directly to Panay until 1734. In that year,  Spain transformed all of Negros into a single administrative and revenue  collection district with its capital, or
cabecera , at Ilog




Spanish Towns of Iloilo as of 1734




Source: First Map of The Philippines by Jesuit Fray Murillo Velarde published in Manila 1734 with Panacot Shoal, British map adopted it in 1794 by Robert Carr , claimed by China today.


Ancient Towns or its visitas  explicitly mentioned are Iloilo and Arevalo (Please note  text "Iloilo"  appeared ,terminus post quem suggest earliest possible  usage not more than 1734 its date of publication in Manila)

There are 15 established Spanish towns such as:
Jaro , Arevalo , Molo , Jaro ( stretching to current Lapaz and Leganes covers visitas of Catmon  which streched far to Cabatuan and Maasin) , Guimbal , Tigbaun , Oton , Dumangas , Anilao , Banate , Barotac , Ajuy Dulano , Laglag , Pase , Alimodian.

There are 3 identified ancient settlement
Tiolas (absorbed as barangay of San Joaquin)
Damilisan (absorbed as barangay of Miagao)
Bongol (absorbed as barangay of Guimbal)

There's a chasm between Jaro and Dumangas. It is understandable Zaraga and Leganes is not yet founded. Dumangas covers the present Barotac Nuevo. Leon, Santa Barbara and Cabatuan may not be present due to lack of Church and they are connected to Jaro Parish although they are already founded in times of publication
The unnamed places in far north are Estancia, Sara, Concepcion, San Dionisio, Batad, Balasan and Carles. There are other existing places in the west like Janiuay, Mina, Lambunao and Calinog but may not been reached by the Spanish Friars.




1754 - Alimodian was founded as Spanish Town




People desire to build a Spanish Town

1753 - It is not so easy and indeed a sacrifice for people of Alimodian to travel to Ogtong to attend their civil and religious duties. Leaders of Buhay and Bagumbayan under Agustin Magtanong meet to discuss matters such as building of an ermita, tribunal or municipio (municipal hall) and an buluthuan  (school). The leaders did not came into agreement after several " puisay" or arguments.

Prophetic Location " Cabudian Creek"

1754 - Strong men of Alimodian able to get logs from island of Inampulangan in Guimaras, transported it to coast of Ogtong and carabaos carried it. It passed the territory of Buhay, the rope did not break and people were dismayed. As the carabao crossed the creek at the bank of Cabudian Creek, the pitik " roped' was snapped prophetically telling them " Poblacion" location but it neither pleased barrio Bagumbayan and Buhay folks. After months of dedicated voluntary work, a town complete with the requirements set up by the Spanish Law of the Indies, a Spanish town came into being.

1755 - Municipio or town hall and church was ready. The populace petitioned for the installation of a teniente absoluto for the visita of Alimodian as well as parish priest. A priest was sent under Fray Vicente.

1756 - Official separation from Ogtong was on August 20, 1756.

A town was born

1757 - With the help of M.R. Fray Jacinto del Puno, Vicar General of the Agustinian Fathers, they appealed to the provincial government of Governor Manuel  Salazar de los Monteros to appoint a captain or gobernadorcillo for the  visita so it would be recognized as a full-fledged municipality. The governor arrived in Ogtong on January 8, 1757 to choose the future gobernadorcillo.Governor arrived , under  endorsement of principales and Fray Francisco Calsetas , Agustin Magtanong was chosen as first gobernatorcillo.



                       
1760 - Santa Barbara becomes a pueblo




After a century since the discovery of first Spanish Explorers, the population grew to several thousands . Township was necessary in order for Spanish Government to have facility to manage Catmon. Catmon was established as an  independent parish and no longer a part of Jaro Parish.  The village  was turned into a  “pueblo” It was given patron saint,  Santa Barbara  and the town was named after her. Its total population at the time was 15,094, covering an villages  of Zarraga, New Lucena and a part of Leganes and Pavia.



1761 - Igbaras becomes a Pueblo



1761  - Fr. Juan Aguado founded the town site of
Igbaras in 1752 named after the word “baras” which is very abundant in the locality. After nine years in 1761, Don Diego Tamooc was installed as gobernadorcillo to head the new pueblo. The old church was constructed in 1784 followed by the convent in 1795 under Fr. Ignacio  Marcos. These structures were also washed away by the big floods but the  remains are still visible today. With sufficient money to construct prominent edifices, Gobernadorcillo Don Pedro Sexto built the  “Casa Real” around 1799 at Calle de San Augustin.  Municipal  street completely inundated by the floods.



1766: Pueblo of Passi was founded




Martin Saligumba in 1766 when the Spanish administration recognized the existence of Passi as a pueblo. He became the first Captain Basal Actual of the town.




1768 - Tubungan becomes a town




1768 - The town of Tubungan was formally founded in 1768 through the efforts of Tan Mangon in barrio Tin-an that now forms part of the present town site. The people who settled there  came mostly from Nahapay, Guimbal and from neighboring towns of Leon, Igbaras and Tigbuan.




In 1769, it was an “arrabal” (a political unit bigger than a barrio) of Guimbal and Agustin Mambuti was appointed the first Teniente to represent Tubungan in the Municipal council of Guimbal. After several years in 1803, Tubungan became a municipality with Fernando Paguntalan as its first Capitan, the highest office in the municipality that time. However, bandit raids placed the town under danger and led to the incorporation of Tubungan to Guimbal from 1806 to 1820.




Unifying 4 ancient  settlements





4 Ancient Malay Settlement

The nine families from Talaugis, Dumangas journeyed along the Suagi River. The first settlers were led by families of Gumok, Hutikot, Ugamot and Pagdakton and settled in  Matag-ub some in Yabun, Danao and Ubian. Datu Biruk heads Ilawod, Kanhe, Datu of Danaw, Lubang Banwa, Datu of Yabon, Batakun, Datu of Kiput. A small parish was founded in 1578 as a  "visita of  Dumangas".  Priest from Dumangas have to visit the far flung community to conduct mass, baptism or marriage.  The 4 settlement multiplied slowly.

Spanish conquered 4 ancient settlements - Foundating of Visita of Yabun

In 1738, a " visita of Yabun"  was founded when their leader Datu Buhawi accepted Spanish rulers. Different datus surrendered with the exception of Datu Dimag-tol of Ubian who escaped with his followers to the mountains and later became the leader of the bandits. The Spanish governing power who was called Teniente Absulto- the following  persons ruled with their respective tenures:  Kabatak - 1738; Balitok - 1739; Panayaw - 1740; Labawon - 1741; Likawan - 1742; Marcelo  (lowlander) - 1743; and Batakun -1744.

Visita of Danaw and the Tinientes

The government center in 1745 move to Danaw  and the first Catholic mass held in a provisional shack called “Ermita”.Cruz - 1745; Sagrado - 1746; Dumara-ug - 1747; Puti - 1748; Kapnaw - 1749; Rambana - 1750; Umilig -  1751; Tungkayas - 1752; Katuha - 1743; Lumaway - 1754; Alinsanan - 1755; Tanyu - 1756; Buingan - 1757

Laoud changed into Matag-ub and became Visita

1759, it was moved again to Matag-ub becomes dependent in 1752.  The settlements in Matag-ub  grew to 27. It was center of political, and government where people recognized the Spanish Rule.




1764 : Territorial Town Boundary




Spanish Governor General issued an order that sought to establish the boundaries of the towns. The order also provided for the establishment of the territorial area of township of Matag-ub which comprised the settlements founded by the settlers from Tala-ugis.

"The boundary line between Cabatuan and Matag-ub is the Hanipaan-creek running through and following its course up to its source hence to the source of Gines creek then running straight to the ridge of Kawis. The boundary between Maasin and Matag-ub begins from Kawis then to Burak then to Kalumbuyan then to Garang then to the source of Tigbawan creek then to the peak of Tamayo Mountain, where on a very large boulder markings in the form of crossing line and letter M are engraved and on the north side of this monument is referred to Matag-ub, and all lands lying north of said marker as indicated by the cross lines belongs to Matag-ub. The letter M on the south side refers to Maasin. The boundary between Matag-ub and Laglag ( Duenas) starts from peak of Mount Singit running between Mount Inday Hanggod and Mount Inday Kayot then to the upper ridge of the source of Abangay creek then following the course of this creek until Tina to the place where the boundaries of Laglag, Dingle and Matag-ub converge."



1769 - Janiuay was born

1769 - the Spanish Governor Francisco Bayot de Ocampo recommended to the “Principalia” the transfer to strengthen in their administration to the present location. A community was named Janiuay subjugating Danao, Yabun and Matag-ub. A Catholic church was built of sandstone, lime stone and layered bricks and was completed in February 1770. Its belfry used to carry three magnificent bells, the largest weighing close to a town.



1775 - Maasin  becomes a Pueblo

1775  - With growing population of "principalia of Maasin" under the pueblo of Cabatuan, a new Spanish priest is needed and gobernadorcillo to overseer the  edict of " Obras Pias" of the locals. A village of Maasin was elevated into a pueblo (town). Don Agustin Garcia was appointed as its first Capitan to oversee the collection of taxes and governing of the people. A beautiful church and Cemetery soon was about to be constructed.

Nuffnang Ad