World Visitors

Free counters!

Ocean Breeze Visitors Around The Globe

Monday, December 31, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Ulay Bugang


Ulay Bugang

Feast Day: November 30
Patron Saint: Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

               Long time ago, the place was called Badyang due to the bounty of this plant in this area. The couple Tomas and Juliana Alovera were the first to live in the woodland part that covers this place.
               In 1946 the place was called Ulay. This word came from the name of an old maiden or spinster who lived in this place whose land was the source of water of the residents in the barrio. The main source of water in the land of Ulay became a creek in later time. 
               In 1960 the place was called Ulay Bugang because of two creeks (Ulay and Bugang) which crosses the barrio. 
               In 1976 the chapel was constructed in the barangay in honor of Our Lady of Miraculous Medal and with the effort of Procopio Cabalfin, the first President of the Catholic organization in the barrio headed by a certain Captain Ara. Father Ismael Castaño hold the first mass in the first fiesta of the barangay on November 30, 1977. The new chapel constructed just beside the old one was put up with the help of the residents. 

Friday, December 28, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Ugbo


Ugbo 

Feast Day: April 30
Patron Saint: St. Augustine

               During the Spanish period, the people in this place suffer some difficulties and hardships due to guerilla resistance against Spain. One time some Spanish soldiers visited this place. The soldiers ask the name of the place to which a resident replied "didto sanda nagasugbo" (they are hiding there) pointing towards the river. What the person means is that the people they are looking are in the river submerging themselves in the water to hide. 
                 The place at the time was headed by a couple Roque and Torya Amba-an.They have five children and the eldest was named Proctoso. When Proctoso became the Teniente del Barrio, the people had a discussion of what to call their barrio. They thought of the story about "nagsugbo" and they decided to shorten the term and call their place Ugbo. The first fiesta was held and the barangay chapel was constructed during the incumbency of Proctoso. Monsignor Carlos Crucero was the parish priest at the time. 
                  According to the elderly residents, long before when there is a long drought the people hold a procession in the river with the image of St. Augustine and the rain usually occur the next day. The image of St. Augustine is proven to drive the pest apan or locusts away by just putting the image in the way near the chapel and the devotees will shout "Señor San Agustin tabuga ang mga apan" (Señor Saint Augustine drive the pest away). The old chapel was constructed during the incumbency of Silvestre Alpuerto with the help of the residents. The new chapel is also completed with the help of the people of this barangay.    

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Ubodan


Ubodan 

Feast Day: First Saturday of February
Patron Saint: Saint Simeon

               The name of the place came also from misunderstandings between the locals and the Spanish authorities. According to the old folks, there was a foreign blood who visited and ask the name of the place. The person who responded said "ubod" since he is doing pang-ubod in coconut (ubod is the heart of the coconut tree or buri). Since then the place was called Ubodan, maybe also due to the fact that there is a bounty of coconut and buri which are the main sources of ubod as an ingredient to some of the local dishes not only of the barrio but also of the town. 
                Before, Ubodan is only a sitio of Barrio Quinaspan.It became a separate barrio in 1969. The feast of St. Simeon is being honored in Barangay Ubodan since the incumbency of Teniente del Barrio Maximo Magbanua. The first priest to hold mass in Ubodan was Monsignor Carlos Crucero the parish priest at that time. According to the story, the people choose Saint Simeon to be their patron saint since the time when the barrio was established, Simeon Cañonero was the mayor of the town. Before, the fiesta of Ubodan is held on the month of February or March but since 1989 under the leadership of Barangay Captain Benito Anayan the fiesta is held every first Saturday of February.  

Friday, December 21, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Tugaslon


Tugaslon

Feast Day: April 5
Patron Saint: St. Vincent Ferrer 

               The name of the barangay came from the word "Tugis" a root crop which is abundant in the place before. The place was called Tugisan which later became Tugaslon. Since 1850s, Tugaslon has been a sitio of Barangay Tarug. The first family in Tugaslon were Jose Ambalong and Amiona Tugaslon and their son Fabiano Ambalong is the first leader of the sitio. 
                Tugaslon separate from Barrio Tarug as an independent barrio in 1920. Oto Alla was the leader at the time. From the years 1935-1940 Pio Aceldeque succeeded and was the first to be called Teniente del Barrio. The Philippine Army established a detachment in Tugaslon in 1938. During World War II, the leader of the barangay was Loreto Camral and most of the residents evacuated to other places.  After the war Luciano Cabanig became the leader from 1945-1955. In 1947 a strong earthquake shook the barrio and destroyed lots of houses and farms. At the time there are already Huks roaming in the barangays. Silvestre Misares popularly known as Bestre, a provincial guard married Adela Antonio whose from Tugaslon. Together with Abdon Alipat and Alfonso Alla, Bestre led the killing of the Huk leader who is Juaning Sandoy. The Huk made a revenge and they burned all the houses in Tugaslon except the house of a woman who was a girlfriend of a Huk member. 
                 From 1950-1953 during the term of Teniente Prudencio Alegrado, burglary and looting of bandits became rampant. During those times, the people of Tugaslon celebrates the feast of Saint Agatha / Santa Agueda. Upon the succession of Teniente Geronimo Ambac, the residents change their patron saint to St. Vincent Ferrer which until now they celebrate his feast every April.  

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Tarug


Tarug

Feast Day: Last Saturday of January 
Patron Saint: St. Anthony the Great / St. Anthony The Abbot

               The barangay was established in 1890 and the pioneering families who settled in the area were the Amaquin, Abido and Atundag. There were eight (8) sitio which covers this barrio: Agaw, Bagsakan, Buyag, Lanag, Lingat, Tabay, Taburanan kag Tumbo-an. The first Teniente del Barrio in Tarug was Santiago Atundag which was assisted by Felipe Amaquin. 
                The name of the place came from the word "tarug" is the term for the water works system used to carry water from the spring. Tarug or bamboo poles cut in half were laid side by side to make an improvised and local version of aqueduct from the spring water to the lower areas of the households in the barangay.
                 The most unforgotten part in history of the barangay is the ambush of the Americans with the guerilla movements founded with the leadership of Martin Delgado of the town of Santa Barbara and Quintin Salas of Dumangas and of the people of Barangay Ugbo.  This took place in Sitio Agnib in between Barangay Gines and Barangay Tarug where they lose not a single fighter even if they were outnumbered by the American soldiers. Due to anger, the Americans burned houses in Sitio Lingat when they learned that the people evacuated in Bokbok in Maasin town together with the guerillas. During World War II, they were surprised by the arrival of the Japanese soldiers where they were tortured and others with the rest of the officials were tied on the trees so they cannot escape. They killed Ramon Camano for a suspicion he is a USAFFE member. 
                 One of the scenic attraction they can be proud of is the giant stone in Sitio Ognong - a sitio of Cabacanan but is closer to Barangay Tarug. They call it as "Gateway of Aganan" due to the enormous size of the stone so the fish can swim upwards to the river of Aganan if the water become so deep during the rainy days and so there were no catfish or balanak fish that can be found in the upper part of Ognong.  

Alimodian Barangay - Tabug


Tabug 

Feast Day: April 16
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Salvation

               The barangay was established in 1910. Marcelo Aldamar or popularly called Mal-am Ilo is the first leader of this place. Mal-am Ilo is a brave and respected leader. He has a ring made out of coconut husk. 
                The name of the place was believed to came from the word "tabog." If there are some strangers or burglars who intend to do harm or violence in the area they were kicked out (ginatabog) by Mal-am Ilo. The place become peaceful and orderly for a long time. Thus, the place was called Tabug.
                In 1974 under the leadership of Captain Ricardo Legaspi the barangay celebrated their first fiesta in honor of their patron saint Our Lady of Salvation. Before this, Tabug celebrates their fiesta together with the rest of the barangays in the so-called "Seven Cities" which is being held every month of April.     

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Taban Manguining


Taban Manguining 

Feast Day: First Saturday of January
Patron Saint: St. Michael Archangel

               During the Spanish times, there are some Spanish soldiers who crossed the river to visit this place and they went thirsty. They saw a couple with two daughters and they ask for water by sign language. They were given water contained in a coconut shell. A soldier ask for the name of the place but the father doesn't understand him. He called for his daughters who were just cleaning in the front yard of their house. The father shouted for his daughters "Manggi Neng!" and that is how the soldiers understand it. Since then they called their barrio Manguining. 
                Later, there are some people who choose to settle in the banks across the river which is still a part of the barangay which later became Sitio Taban since they were like taken (taban) from the barangay proper.  Since then, the place is called Barangay Taban-Manguining. The barrio was established in 1969 under the leadership of Captain Job Abioda. The barangay first held their fiesta on January 3, 1973 and the patron saint was St. Michael Archangel. Father Ismael Castaño was the first priest to hold mass in the barangay and the first fiesta queen was Nancy Sajonia. 
                 In Sitio Taban they pride itself as the main way upwards the famed Agony Hill which attract flocks of devotees every Holy Week. It was also in Taban where the infamous and bloody Taban Massacre took place where on August 17, 1943 the Japanese soldier on a surprise attack massacred able bodied men by means of bayonet and beheading on a market day. A historical marker and chapel was constructed to commemorate the tragic fateful day and to honor those innocent civilians brutally killed and victims of war.   

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Sulong


Sulong

Feast Day: January 15
Patron Saint: St. Isidore, the Farmer

               Before the Spaniards arrive in the country, there is a good flow of stream in sitio Pacul of this place. The water that overflows fully fill a wide but very shallow creek where there is a slow flow of water. Thus the water stuck up (nagasulong) in the lower part of the place they call Barrio Sulong. 
               To make the flow of water even faster, people dug up the Lurok (a hilly part between Barrio Sulong and Barrio Santa Cruz of the town of San Miguel) to make a canal. They made a wide canal and the part where the water stay has a bounty of crop and harvest.
                The sitios who were once a part of Sulong were Pacul, Bungalong and Pandan. During the Spanish occupation, Romeo Amolar became the Teniente del Barrio from 1878-1882.  During the Philippine Independence, the Teniente del Barrio is Juan Amolar (1898-1903). During World War II Japanese occupation, the people who led the place were Isidro Amuan (1939-1941), Luis Alcantara (1942-1944) and Vicente Tuarez (1945-1948).   

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Sinamay


Sinamay

Feast Day: May 13
Patron Saint: St. Isidore, the Farmer

               During the early years before the Spaniards arrive, there is a group of people who live peacefully, happy and prosperous in the eastern part near the town of Alimodian. In those days, the women in this place are famous for weaving the Sinamay textile or fiber. 
               The vast territory or barrio covers the sitio of Salungan, Manguining, Kudiapa, Garo, Atay-atay, Tingib, Lanag and Pinamuno. 
               When the Spaniards came in the place, they torture and abuse the residents, so the people revolted and fought and stand up for their peaceful living. The bloody revolt took place between the invaders and the native locals. What was left of the locals are those people who came out from hiding and they found the bloody and lifeless bodies of the Spaniards and their fellow natives. Due to their immeasurable grief, they can only utter "Nagsirinamay-samay" (mixed up). What they mean is that the blood of the foreign invaders mixed up with the blood of the native residents and they can never forget this tragedy in history. According to the story, these words became the origin of the name of Sinamay. 
                During the Spanish occupation, Remegio Amolar became the leader of Sinamay from 1875-1878, during the independence, Gregorio Alingalan became the leader from 1895-1902 and during World War II Candido Amoyan (1939-1946).
            

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Quinaspan


Quinaspan

Feast Day: February 11
                  October 11 (Sitio Bugsukan)
Patron Saint:  Our Lady of Salvation
                       Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary (Sitio Bugsukan)

               During the Spanish occupation, this place was called Bugsukan since the water flows downward (nagabugsok) from the mountains like the waterfalls. In 1860 the place was called Quinaspan and covers sitio Cumaron, Bugtong, Barang and Cuyad. The Spanish authorities employ the people in a forced labor. Due to language barrier and miscommunication makes it more difficult for the laborers. When the Spanish soldiers say "Por Que?", the people are in panic calling for their "sinakpan" (co-worker) to work. Due to the repetition of calling these phrases it became Quinaspan. 
                Teniente del Barrio Damiano Caguimbal is the leader of Bugsukan when the name was changed to Quinaspan. The first leader of this place was Teniente del Barrio Pedro Ambacan. The old barangay central site is now called Sitio Bugsukan. Their patron saint is Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary. During the early years, the feast is celebrated in this sitio until the barangay transferred to a new site. The sitio started to have their own fiesta separate from the barangay proper in October 11, 2008.    

Alimodian Barangay - Punong


Punong 

Feast Day: October 7
Patron Saint: Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary

               According to the elderly folks of this place, Barangay Punong already exists during the Spanish period. During the early day, the water which overflows from Pianda-an Creek stays on this place that looks like it stuck up (ginpunongan) until it widened and deepened. When the Spanish soldiers came and ask the name of the place, a man responded "nagapunong ang tubig" (the water stuck up here). Since then the place was called Punong.
               Until 1946, Punong was a part of the town of Maasin however half of it is situated within the boundary of Alimodian. So the two town decided to divide the barangay into two. In 1947, Punong became a sitio of Barangay Gines which was headed by Venancio Misamen. During those years, the barangays were disturbed by the rebel group Huk. Many residents of Punong were tortured for suspicion of Huk sympathizers so many residents evacuated to Maasin, some parts of Alimodian and other places.
                In 1950, the people started to return to their homes and Alipio Misamen was recognized as the first Teniente del Barrio. Sitio Punong separated from Barrio Gines in 1960 becoming an independent barrio. Canuto Misamen became the barangay captain from 1962-1982. During those times, the leftist rebel group New People's Army (NPA) roamed the barangays and disturb the peaceful living in these places. Some of the residents were imprisoned for suspicion of being a member or sympathizers of the rebel group. Later, Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU) established in the barangay and peace returned. 
                Nestor Mondega, former SK chairman, was chosen as Barangay Captain who served from 1982-1989. The first fiesta in Punong was held in October 1982 and Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary was chosen as the patron saint. The first fiesta queen was Helen Misamen and the first priest to hold mass was Father Glorioso Gepolongca. All of the residents are Roman Catholic.     

Friday, November 30, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Pianda-an Sur


                                          Pianda-an Sur

Feast Day: October 3
Patron Saint: St. Therese of the Child Jesus

               There are six household who were the pioneer residents in this place in 1870s led by Pido Ambid. In the 1880s there is a fierce battle between the Spaniards and the Katipuneros. In this place, the Spaniards ran after these Katipuneros and the caught a man too slow to run. The man shouted "Pi ang daan ko!" Since then they call the place "Piang da-an" which later became Pianda-an. 
               When the Americans came in the 1900s, Pianda-an was headed by Enrique Ambid. In this year a sugar mill was built. Someone stole the mill by two carabao pulling it. In 1920 processing of sugar cane stopped and people incur loses in their sugarcane crop. During the Japanese occupation in World War II, many people from the city evacuated to this place to hide from the enemy and returned home after liberation of Panay. 
                 In 1946, Ricardo Hisugan was appointed as the Teniente del Barrio. During his term, the residents constructed a chapel and they celebrated the first fiesta in their barangay on October 3, 1946. The patron saint is St. Therese of the Child Jesus. The image of St. Therese was stolen in 1950 and it was never returned. 
                 Quintin Anecita became the Teniente del Barrio in 1960 and Barangay Captain starting in 1964 when the church was transferred closer to thirty (30) households and also during this time when the first multi-purpose hall was completed. During the term of Captain Rogelio Tagurigan the church undergone some extensions and the electricity reach this barangay. During the term of Captain Burt Cortez, a new chapel was constructed which still stood until today.      

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Pianda-an Norte


Pianda-an Norte

Feast Day: Second Week of February
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Salvation

               In 1900s there were only a few residents in this place led by Teniente del Barrio Crisanto Alibango Anarajado. The name of the barrio according to the elderly folks was taken during the Spanish period where there is a man going to the Buriraw and Kahimayaan creek and was asked by the Spaniards the name of the place. Due to the language barrier and miscommunication, the man answered "Pi, ang daan ko"." Since then the people started to call their place Pi-ang daan which later became Pianda-an. 
              Until World War II, Teniente Crisanto Anarajado is the leader of Pianda-an and aside from them, the pioneering families living in the place were Piojo, Misare, Anitohin and Albancia. In 1952 Teniente Anarajado died and was succeeded by her daughter, Cristita Anarajado Albancia. Due to the vast expanse of the land and the long distance of houses, the barrio was divided into two: Pianda-an Norte (North) and Pianda-an Sur (South) before the 1960s. Juan Aldabar succeeded Cristita Albancia from 1960-1963 and in 1964 Cristita Albancia returned as a captain and served in that position until 1980. 
            In 1981 Jesus Cabalfin became the barangay captain of Pianda-an Norte and the people plan to have a fiesta. The residents choose Our Lady of Salvation as their patron saint and the people donated to buy an image of their patron saint. The first fiesta in the barrio was celebrated on February 11, 1981 and celebrate it every second week of February.   

Monday, November 26, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Pajo


Pajo 

Feast Day: August 16
                  Second Saturday of January (Sitio Balogo)
Patron Saint:  St. Roch
                      Holy Child Jesus (Sitio Balogo)

               Barrio Pajo was established in 1858 according to the Spanish documents. The name of the barrio came from a creek called "Pajo" which became the camp of the Philippine Army during World War II.
               During the term of Mamerto Quirante alias Etok, the residents planned to construct a chapel but before that so many people got sick. Teniente Etok held a meeting to choose a patron saint for the sick and they choose St. John the Baptist yet they haven't held a fiesta. 
                In 1940 when Teniente Etok passed away Teniente Aurelio Quirante alias Orel took the leadership. During that time, there are lots of pests and insect that infest the crops of the farmers, so Teniente Orel called for a meeting to discuss with the people who will be the patron saint they will pray for to get rid of the insect and pest infestations. They choose St. Roch so Teniente Orel bought an image of St. Roch for the barrio chapel. 
               The first fiesta of Barrio Pajo was held on August 19, 1942 with Msgr. Carlos Crucero, the parish priest of the town officiating the first mass in the barrio. Since August is a rainy month and the road to the barrio is muddy and difficult to reach, the priest requested that the feast be transferred in April. So in April of the following year, the feast was held and the first fiesta queen was Epefania Quirante. In later years, the people went back to the original feast day in August in the very date of St. Roch feast day. 
              The barangay prides itself of the Aganan River Plaza, primary school, and Pleywun Ravine in which the people believes that if one part of ravine will erode, someone will die. 
              Sitio Balogo became a part of Barangay Pajo since 2007 but before that it was a sitio of Barangay Cagay. The residents of the sitio started to celebrate a feast on January 10, 1995 in honor of the little child Jesus. Since then the feast is held every second Saturday of January.     

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Manduyog


Manduyog 

Feast Day: January 31
Patron Saint: Holy Child Jesus

               During the Spanish occupation, this place was a woodland. The place became infamous for being the hiding place of the brigands in the wood who steal animal from surrounding barrios. 
               According to the old stories of elderly folks, there are some Spanish soldiers who visited the place and ask for the name of the place. An innocent resident responded by saying "ang mga buyong nagapangguyod kasapatan" (brigands who pull out animals). In a short understanding of the Spaniards, they call the place Manduyog. 
               Manduyog started to have an increase in settlement before the war in the 1920s at the same time the woods started to disappear.  The place became an independent barangay in 1969.  Twenty (20) families each bought 100 sq. m. homelot which costs twenty (20) pesos each.   

Alimodian Barangay - Manasa


Manasa

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Mambawi


Mambawi

Feast Day: February 22
Patron Saint: St. Ildephonsus of Toledo

               In 1900s  there is a place called Purok Bulho with twenty two (22) residents. The purok has a surrounding fence to protect the residents from the bandits. Bulho has four sitios namely Naripay, Igpihak, Bacolod and Ale-ale with nineteen (19) households. Agustin Amor was chosen as the leader of Bulho in 1914. During his term, the first chapel was constructed and the first fiesta was celebrated in honor of St. Ildephonsus. Father Mariano Perez, the parish priest of Alimodian, is the first priest to held mass in the barrio. The image of St. Ildephonsus was made by Alberto "Bitok" Porques - the first sculptor in Bulho. 
              The name Mambawi came from a story during the Spanish times. One day, the Spaniards visited the place and saw an unhappy man because his carabao or water buffalo was lost. When the Spaniards return, they saw that man again and this time was happy and told them that he redeemed (nabawi) his carabao. Since the Spaniards doesn't understand the language, they thought the man told them that Mambawi is the name of the place. Since then, they call the place Mambawi. 
             There is a popular sculptor in town, Anastacio Alon - grandchild of Bitok Porques. He sculpted most of the images in the chapel of Mambawi. He also sculpted many of the images of other barangay and the small image of St. Thomas Villanova which is used to anoint the head of the devotees during the town's fiesta mass.  

Friday, November 16, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Malamboy-Bondolan


Malamboy-Bondolan

Feast Day: May 3
Patron Saint: Holy Cross

               This place was formerly called Sitio Lusad of Barrio Ugbo. The land in this sitio is owned by the families of Armando Cañoso, Felomina Anacay and Leon Gilapay. There is a high hilly part in this sitio, about 200 meters above sea level and neighboring barangays and the city of Iloilo can be seen at the summit especially on a good starry night where the lights in the city is beautifully visible. 
                In the 1960s, the Cañoso family donated their land to be converted into what we call now as the "Agony Hill", a place of worship and retreat  among the devotees but most importantly is the station of the cross during Holy Week with life size images and status commemorating the important events during and after Christ crucifixion. It became a tourist attraction after several years. The place was handed over to Cleofe Alpuerto and her husband Perfecto Galaraga.The couple erected a chapel and a big wooden cross in Bondolan and since then lots of people came to the place and pray. Then there is a gradual increase in settlement in the place.
                In 1971, President Marcos distributed some rice mills around the country and in Alimodian, the recipient is the sitio Lusad. When the rice mills arrived, the name of the barangay in the paper is Malamboy. People just wondered because there were no place in the town named Malamboy. The neighboring barangay Malamhay instead received the rice mill. 
               Mayor Miguel Anas and his Vice Mayor Antonio Anibigno in Lusad and held a meeting with the people since the place was already popularly called Bondolan and just coined and make it Malamboy-Bondolan. When the census came, the name of the place became the  problem. Thus, Mayor Anas went directly to Manila to resolve the issue. When Mayor Anas arrived from Manila, he appointed Perfecto Galaraga to be the first captain of Malamboy Bondolan. 
                The chapel and the wooden cross built by the couple Cleofe and Perfecto in 1961 now called Shrine of the Holy Cross was destroyed by the tropical storm, Ruping in 1990. It was renovated in 1991 until 1995.   

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Malamhay


Malamhay

Feast Day: July 16
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage

               In 1940 this place was just a sitio of Barrio Gines of what they call "Maalam Hay" (Smart) since there are lots of brilliant and smart people in the area. There were seven families that were headed by a certain Osting, who was the happiest person who determined to make their place a separate independent barrio. 
               During the Japanese Occupation in 1942, the barrio celebrated their first fiesta in honor of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage during the incumbency of Teniente del Barrio Bruno Amantil until he became the Barangay Captain in 1948. Fermin Amoyot was the next barangay captain  from 1949 - 1960  during the time of the Huk rebel group and the people evacuated to the town proper. The people returned when peace returned in the barangay from 1960 - 1968 during the incumbency of Captain Ernesto Quia. During the term of Teofilo Amantil (1968 - 1972), the first barangay hall was built  as well as the disco hall, rice mill, and improvised water aqueduct.   

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Luan-Luan


Luan-Luan

Feast Day: October 31
Patron Saint: Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary 

               The name of the place came from a creek named Luan-luan that can be found in the place. During the Spanish times, the place was called Kamansi due to the bounty of the Kamansi fruit in the area which the residents sell in the town proper. Kamansi was formerly just a sitio of Barrio Ingwan in those times. Luan-luan became the name of the place starting in the 1940s. 
                On what can only be remembered by the elderly folks in the barangay, Martin Anacan is the Teniente del Barrio until the World War II. During the Japanese occupation (1940 - 1945), some of the residents evacuated to the neighboring town of Maasin after the Japanese killed Teniente del Barrio Emiliano Aboilo. 
                The barrio celebrated their first fiesta on October 25, 1972 during the term of Captain Inen Aboilo in honor of their patron saint, Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary. The first priest to hold mass in the barrio was Monsignor Carlos Crucero. The first fiesta queen was Fausta Calabing. 
                  The barangay could not forget the sad tragedy that took place in their area aside from the destruction and devastation brought by the tropical storm, Ruping in 1991 is the punishment and sufferings of the barangay officials by the Philippine Army in 1982. The officials was blamed and was the scourge of the Army for their investigation of the leftist and rebel group New People's Army (NPA) in the barangay.   

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Lico


Lico

Feast Day: Last Saturday of March
Patron Saint: St. Joseph

               The name of the place came from a term that was called for the path or road upwards with lots of turns (paliko-liko). The barrio was established in 1954 under the leadership of Ireneo Macaya. During that time, there is a bounty of food and harvest in the mountain, but the real problem of the residents is the lack of salt. Their place is about two days to reach by walking to and from the town proper (poblacion) of Alimodian.  

Monday, November 5, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Laylayan


Laylayan

Feast Day: April 5
Patron Saint: St. Vincent Ferrer

               The elderly folks of the barrio tells of a story that the name of the place came from "nagalaylay nga bala" (rounds of ammunition). During the time of the Spanish conquistadores, there was a group of brave Visayans, who won't surrender or give up to the Spaniards who put up their own house and settlements in this mountainous area. When the Spaniards learned about them, they attacked the place and fired with rounds of ammunition on these people which emit deafening shots. Rounds of ammunition or (nagalaylay nga bala) were heard when asked how did their men died. When peace returned to their land, they named their place Laylan in honor of these unnamed and unknown dead people. 
                The barrio was founded in 1880 under the leadership of Alejo Arellano as Teniente del Barrio. In 1920 during the incumbency of Sabas Quidado, the place was established as an independent barrio. During the Japanese Occupation, Segundo Misamen was the Teniente del Barrio (1940 - 1949). The rest of the people abandoned the place. 
                The first fiesta was celebrated on April 1940 in honor of their patron saint, St. Vincent Ferrer whose image was donated by Eusebio Bustillos and was made by Basilio Alibugha. The first priest to hold a mass in the barrio was Father Ismael Castaño. The first fiesta queen was Nelida Amantel.   
                 The center of barangay site was transferred to the upper part of the barrio during the term of Teniente Benjamin Misamen (1950-1959). The primary school was constructed during the incumbency of Teniente Pedro Magno (1960 - 1965) and the first teacher was Solomon Algallar. The school was finished during the term of Barangay Captain Leodico Bustillos - the longest serving captain of the barangay (1966-1988).

Alimodian Barangay - Ingwan


Ingwan 

Feast Day: 2nd Saturday of March
Patron Saint: St. Joseph Montana

               Based on the old documents, the name of the barrio came from a creek Ingwan which can still be found in the area. There are four sitios in the barangay when it was established in the 1920s under the leadership of Juan Anacan. The four sitios are Balentian, Luan-luan, Banco and Camanse.
              The barrio was hit by malaria and cholera epidemic in 1920 and many were killed. The residents abandoned the place. 
              In 1925  the people returned in Ingwan and they established the barrio in the southern part of the original area of settlements. In 1929 the center of the barrio was transferred to the northeast (takas patuo) of the second center. The fourth transfer took place in 1941 and they chose the western part of the original settlement site. At that time, Gregorio Allanic is the incumbent barangay captain. 

 

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Ginomoy


Ginomoy 

Feast Day: 3rd Saturday of February
Patron Saint: Our Lady Of Salvation

               According to the stories of elderly folks when the barrios don't have names yet, there was a heavy deluge and flood that affects this place even the floors of the houses situated in the hilly part of the area was reached and animals and other people can be seen swimming in the flood. It is just a wonder that not one animal or human has been drowned. If seen from afar, the animals and the people float in the water that sway (gahumoy-humoy) to the current of the flood. Since then the place was called Ginomoy.
               The barangay was established in February 1920 under the leadership of Tareno Tagurigan, the first teniente del barrio. The chosen patron saint was Our Lady of Salvation whose feast is celebrated every 3rd Saturday of February. Fiesta long before was unforgettable because there are lots of competition like boxing, buffalo, two bulls fighting, horse taming and cowboy competition, and disco at night with the music of a live band or orchestra. The first priest to hold mass in the barangay was Father Mariano Perez and their fiesta queen was Ofelia Algoraba.  

Alimodian Barangay - Gines


Gines

Feast Day: August 31
Patron Saint: Saint Raymond Nonnatus

               According to the Spanish documents, this place was called Aknib and covers four sitios: Malamhay, Tulong, Pinatayan and Bulaos. The barrio was established in 1832 under the leadership of Captain Agustin Anico. The town of Alimodian was governed then by Captain Agustin Montoy. The original residents of the place came from the families of Ciriaco Amban and Pascuala Gira. The name Gines came from reddish clay and a place called Hines by the residents. At that time there was already a priest assigned in that barrio. 
               The patron saint of Gines is Raymond Nonnatus. On May 10, 2007, the two image of St. Raymond was discovered by the people stolen in their chapel. Under the leadership of their captain, the images were found in a store in Mary Mart Mall, Iloilo City. Within seven days with the help of the police of the towns of Alimodian, Sta. Barbara and Iloilo City, the images were reclaimed. However, the much older image lost its two arms with one of its hand holding the "monstance" which was made out of gold. This replica of St. Raymond was said to be miraculous because the holder of the image was twice burned yet the image itself was unaffected.   

Alimodian Barangay - Dao


Dao

Feast Day: January 19
Patron Saint: Holy Child Jesus

               Barangay Dao was established only in 1982. Maximo Franco was the first barangay captain. The first fiesta was held on January 19, 1985 in honor of the Holy Child Jesus during the term of Simeon Ambut. The first priest to hold the mass in the place was Father Glorioso Gepolongca. The first fiesta queen was Olga Butanga. 
               Father Justiniano Hingco, the town's parish priest at the time, was instrumental in putting up the chapel of the barangay and the first couple to wed in the chapel were Milagros Amuallo Alinsangao, Merlina Calambro Quimot and Nenita Bayanero Anacan. 
               Aside from rice grains, maize, bananas, nuts and root crops, the residents prides itself in yielding and harvesting high value crops such as cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, sayote and ginger. The cleanliness and the awesome works of nature is also the one they can boast to tourist and contribution to the tourism of Alimodian.
               The barangay prides itself of some attraction like Maslog Creek with huge stone as big as a house and also the hanging bridge.   

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Dalid


Dalid

Feast Day: October 25
Patron Saint: Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary

               Long time ago according to a story, there was a young lad who was arrested by some delinquents, tortured and was tied to a large tree called Dalid. The young man struggle to get loose and escape but without luck until he fell asleep. Then he dream that in the large tree that he was tied there live some people and there is a celebration and dancing. He was invited by some maiden who are so beautiful it was his first time in his lifetime to see such a lovely pretty young ladies. When he woke up the next morning he is still tied up to the tree but he was very happy about the dream and he can never forget the dancing together with the women throughout the night. All of a sudden there's a heavy deluge that brought flood which carried the tree with the young man tied to it to the creek down through the river. The people saw in the banks of the river a suspended large tree with an unconscious man tied to it. The man only regained consciousness when he was brought up and fed by the people and cured of his injuries and bruises from severe torture. The young man could not believe he can survive the ordeal he suffered and also told the people about his dream. 
                The following day, there was a wedding in the place and there was a dance in the night. The people just amazed when there are lots of beautiful women who came and the young man is happy to see the beautiful women in his dreams again. The night is full of frolic fun, revelry and in festive mood until the midnight when the pretty ladies gradually disappear. One old man who is watching over his carabaos and cattles saw the pretty women passing by and when they reached the Dalid tree they all of a sudden disappear. Since then, the people believed that the Dalid tree which they found suspended in the bank of the river was an enchanted tree and that the ladies were fairies. When the time comes when the people discuss about the name of the place, they never think twice and choose Dalid as the name of their place because the tree brought happiness and inspiration most especially to the young men every time there is a feast or dancing in their place. 
                 Dalid was established in 1918 under the leadership of Teniente del Barrio Benigno Andutan. During his incumbency, Dalid Parochial School and the first chapel were built. On October 25, 1955 during the term of Captain Jose Tabiana, Sr. the first fiesta in the barangay was held in honor of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary with Monsignor Carlos Crucero officiating the mass.        

Alimodian Barangay - Cuyad


Cuyad

Feast Day: Last Saturday Of March
                  April 16 (Sitio Bugtong)

Patron Saint: St. Joseph
                      St. Vincent Ferrer (Sitio Bugtong)

               This place was a just a sitio of Barrio Baong before World War II. It only became a separate barrio in 1939 during the term of Juan Catanus. A school was built by the Protestants in this place because at that time 90 percent of the residents are Protestants. 
               There were three version as to the origin of the name of the place. The first version was that it came from the word "cayod" or struggle because during the separation from Barrio Baong, people resolved to just struggle "cayod  lang nga cayod" on their own not to rely on the barrio where it came from. 
                The second version, it came from the word "cuyab"  or fan. During the Spanish period, there are Spanish soldiers who pass by the place and saw people resting under the tree using the anahaw leaves as a fan. The Spaniards ask for the name of their place. There was a woman who answered "nagapanguyab kami kay masyado ka init" (we are fanning because it is too hot). A man also interrupted saying "amo dya ang cuyab" (this is a fan). Since then the place was called Cuyad.
                 The third version was about a wide, deep and long days of flooding that almost reach the highest places. The people see the flood as if they are like "uyad-uyad" or like waves in the ocean due to its length and strength. Since they are not affected by the flood and their place has no name yet, they just call it Uyad which later pronunciations became Cuyad. 
                  The feast of the barangay is held in Sitio Sibato every last Saturday of March in honor of St. Joseph. Sitio Bugtong is a sitio in Cuyad that celebrates their own separate fiesta in which most residents are Catholics. Sitio Bugtong held their first fiesta mass on April 16, 1985 during the term of Captain Hilario Valentin with Father Justiniano Hingco, parish priest of the town at the time officiating the mass.   

Alimodian Barangay - Cunsad


Cunsad 

Feast Day: January 16
Patron Saint: St. Roch

               According to the story that were passed on by generations, in 1900s there was a couple who passed by this place and they went thirsty. The woman asked his husband to find water using a twig he broke from a branch of a tree to dig underground in search for water. Following her order, there was sudden burst of water from the underground that quenched the thirst of the couple. They were so happy that they told the people about it when they went home. Since then, they called the place Cunsad from the word "bungsad" or dig. 
                In the 1940s, the families who were living in the barangays were the Andiano, Andig, Maliha-an, Quider, Alido, Alpuerto, Algar, Canogoran and Angeles families.  Most of them are devout Catholics so they choose St. Roch as a patron Saint. They believed that St. Roch helped to cure their illnesses, sickness and also some of their problems. Since it was World War II, there was no formal officials elected and chosen by the people. 
                In 1965, for the first time the people chose their teniente del Barrio who was Presentacion Angeles. It was also in this year that the barangay held their first fiesta. In 1969, the barrio produced their first college graduate. In 1970,  the barrio produced its first teacher.     

Friday, November 2, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Cagay


Cagay

Feast Day: 2nd Saturday of January
Patron Saint: Little Child Jesus

               According to the elderly people, this barangay could have been established as the town proper of Alimodian as this was the first barangay recognized by the Spanish government. This place is also known as Sibukawan as there were many sibukaw trees in the area. During the early Spanish occupation the place has several sitios namely: Balogo, Taytay, Danao, Agusukan Sulong and Bogtong. The name of the place came from the fiber named Cagay used to bundle bamboos which are used in making rafts that were ridden by people in crossing Aganan River. These cagay fibers are so bountiful surrounding this barangay. The fiber became a part of the residents here not only used as a rope for bundling but also used as a herbal alternative medicine use to cure stomach ache by boiling and drinking. 
               This place was also formerly called Caguinyan after the name of the place that has plenty of  bamboo and large wood and fruits from the river uphill. Until now the place still exist. It was believed that the leader of Cagay during the Spanish occupation was Ciriaco Alomia when the people still stage comedia plays. In 1910, the first Teniente del Barrio was Andres Alquidano. He ordered to clear the fields of these fibers and large trees to plant rice, maize and bananas which were the main mean source of income among the residents and under his term the barrio celebrated their first fiesta. He was succeeded by Monico Alquidano who propagated more bananas in the barrio. 
                In 1929 the barangay chose Nenita Alomia as their first Barangay Queen. Father Mariano Perez officiated the first mass in Cagay in 1934.  

Alimodian Barangay - Coline


Coline 

Feast Day: January 19
Patron Saint: St. Joseph

               Coline and Coline Dalag are situated in a small hill beside a wide plain in the middle of Alimodian and San Miguel. Rice grains is the main crop of the people. 
               According to the story, during the American occupation in the Philippines there is a group of American soldiers who are patrolling in this area and they went thirsty. They went to a house to ask some water to drink. They only gave sign languages as a communication because they don't understand each others language. After drinking, the couple who only has one child a girl invited the soldiers for a lunch. Their lunch consist of rice and fish that was a produce from the mud in the rice field they called "dalag" (mud fish). The soldiers really like the fish and they ask for some of it to be brought to their barracks. The father immediately went down few meters away from their home to catch some mudfish. One soldier followed him to see where to find the mudfish and how to catch it. The soldier kept asking the man while he is catching the fish but did not replied him back because he could not understand and speak English. When the man already caught a lot of fish, he called for his daughter "dara ti galon dya Nene kay sudlan ta kang dalag." (Nene bring me a gallon or pitcher so we can put the fish in there)
            The only words that the soldier can remember are "Galon, Nene, Dalag." So that when the soldier keep on returning in the place  to patrol and to look for that delicious fish, they kept on saying to the people the words "Galon, Nene , Dalag" until the residents were used to just call their place "Galon, Nene, Dalag." Later due to the length of the word, they shorten it to become Coline-Dalag. This is the only words of origin of the place that later became a barangay.
             When there is a gradual increase in settlement in the place, there is a group of families who established and created their separate barrio called Coline. Their close relationship to their neighbors of the old barrio never ceases until now. In their own belief, they are twin barrios. So when a school is about to be constructed for these two barangays, it was agreed by the people to build it in between the two barangays.   

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Alimodian Barangay - Coline-Dalag


Coline-Dalag 

Feast Day: 2nd Saturday of January
Patron Saint: Our Lady Of  The Most Holy Rosary


               Coline and Coline Dalag are situated in a small hill beside a wide plain in the middle of Alimodian and San Miguel. Rice grains is the main crop of the people. 
               According to the story, during the American occupation in the Philippines there is a group of American soldiers who are patrolling in this area and they went thirsty. They went to a house to ask some water to drink. They only gave sign languages as a communication because they don't understand each others language. After drinking, the couple who only has one child a girl invited the soldiers for a lunch. Their lunch consist of rice and fish that was a produce from the mud in the rice field they called "dalag" (mud fish). The soldiers really like the fish and they ask for some of it to be brought to their barracks. The father immediately went down few meters away from their home to catch some mudfish. One soldier followed him to see where to find the mudfish and how to catch it. The soldier kept asking the man while he is catching the fish but did not replied him back because he could not understand and speak English. When the man already caught a lot of fish, he called for his daughter "dara ti galon dya Nene kay sudlan ta kang dalag." (Nene bring me a gallon or pitcher so we can put the fish in there)
             The only words that the soldier can remember are "Galon, Nene, Dalag." So that when the soldier keep on returning in the place  to patrol and to look for that delicious fish, they kept on saying to the people the words "Galon, Nene , Dalag" until the residents were used to just call their place "Galon, Nene, Dalag." Later due to the length of the word, they shorten it to become Coline-Dalag. This is the only words of origin of the place that later became a barangay.
             When there is a gradual increase in settlement in the place, there is a group of families who established and created their separate barrio called Coline. Their close relationship to their neighbors of the old barrio never ceases until now. In their own belief, they are twin barrios. So when a school is about to be constructed for these two barangays, it was agreed by the people to build it in between the two barangays.   

Nuffnang Ad