Saturday, December 1, 2012
Alimodian Barangay - Punong
Feast Day: October 7
Patron Saint: Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary
According to the elderly folks of this place, Barangay Punong already exists during the Spanish period. During the early day, the water which overflows from Pianda-an Creek stays on this place that looks like it stuck up (ginpunongan) until it widened and deepened. When the Spanish soldiers came and ask the name of the place, a man responded "nagapunong ang tubig" (the water stuck up here). Since then the place was called Punong.
Until 1946, Punong was a part of the town of Maasin however half of it is situated within the boundary of Alimodian. So the two town decided to divide the barangay into two. In 1947, Punong became a sitio of Barangay Gines which was headed by Venancio Misamen. During those years, the barangays were disturbed by the rebel group Huk. Many residents of Punong were tortured for suspicion of Huk sympathizers so many residents evacuated to Maasin, some parts of Alimodian and other places.
In 1950, the people started to return to their homes and Alipio Misamen was recognized as the first Teniente del Barrio. Sitio Punong separated from Barrio Gines in 1960 becoming an independent barrio. Canuto Misamen became the barangay captain from 1962-1982. During those times, the leftist rebel group New People's Army (NPA) roamed the barangays and disturb the peaceful living in these places. Some of the residents were imprisoned for suspicion of being a member or sympathizers of the rebel group. Later, Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU) established in the barangay and peace returned.
Nestor Mondega, former SK chairman, was chosen as Barangay Captain who served from 1982-1989. The first fiesta in Punong was held in October 1982 and Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary was chosen as the patron saint. The first fiesta queen was Helen Misamen and the first priest to hold mass was Father Glorioso Gepolongca. All of the residents are Roman Catholic.