World Visitors

Free counters!

Ocean Breeze Visitors Around The Globe

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Iloilo City Street And Places Names Origins

Old Plazoleta Gay

Calle Real in the 19th Century

Old Iloilo City Proper

The Iloilo City Proper today with the old International Business Hotel in the intersection



Muelle Loney - named in honor of Nicholas Loney, first British vice-consul of Iloilo and Father of Sugar Industry in the Philippines.

Iznart Street - was named after Spanish Iloilo Alcalde-mayor Manuel Iznart in 1860's . 

Ortiz Street  - named after Don Juan Ortiz Sr. 
Don Joaquin Ortiz Sr -  was a Spanish noble and wealthy family born in 1798 in Estepa, Sevilla, Spain and had the title of Marques de Luna.  He traveled around the  Philippines looking for a better location for establishing a business (shipyard)  and he found that Iloilo was situated in the center of the Philippines and had  ample supply of timber for his ships. Here he decided to invest shipping  business. Frigates, Batels and Bergantins were what tobe found being built in  his shipyard. It was also said that he built a beautiful Bergantine which he gave as a gift to Queen Maria Cristina de Bourbon

He donated parts of his property for the widening of the roads  and making new ones and so becoming one of the pioneers of in the development of  the city. Because of this, in appreciation and acknowledgment for his selfless  act, the officials then named Ortiz Street after him. His donations are now part of JM Basa Street, Ortiz Street, Iznart Street, Rizal Street and Gen. Luna Street and a piece of the Plazoleta Gay.

Delgado Street is considered the longest street in Iloilo City and is named after General Martin Delgado, the indomitable revolutionary who fought for Philippine independence against both the Spanish and American regimes. 

Valeria Street, on the other hand, has the distinction of being one of the few streets to carry a first name rather than a surname. Valeria Ledesma, one of the 17 children of the original owner, Anastacio Ledesma donated the area to the city - and it was decided that since there was already a Ledesma street named after her father, the street would bear her first name instead.   

A street from General Luna up to Rizal traversing Delgado and Ledesma was named after  Valeria Lopez Ledesma (Born on  April  27, 1866 ). She is daughter of  Anastacio Lopez Ledesma and Clara Jalandoni Lopez who donated that piece of land.




Photo Source: 

John Tewell, Life Magazine 
RJDexplorer.com

Nuffnang Ad