World Visitors

Free counters!

Ocean Breeze Visitors Around The Globe

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Dr. Emmanuel Anico


Dr. Emmanuel Anico
First Optometrist of Alimodian

      Emmanuel Anico was born to Jose Anico and Cristeta Alonsabe on December 25, 1941 in this town. He finished his elementary education at the Alimodian Central Elementary School in 1953 and his secondary education at the Alimodian High School in 1957.

      Since his younger days it has been his ambition to be an optometrist. So after graduating from high school, he pursued his college course at Centro Escolar University in Manila where he studied for three years. In his senior year, he transferred to Manila Central University where he graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Optometry in 1962. He passed the board the following year.

      He is happily married to Madolin Calisura with whom he has three children. He practiced his profession aside from being a former collection agent of the Bureau of Internal Revenue in this municipality.

Alimodian Firsts: Dr. Jose Altura

Dr. Jose Altura
First Dentist


      Although he no longer resides in this community, Alimodian is still proud of its first dentist, Dr. Jose Altura.

      The ninth child of Paulino Altura and Isidra Garay, the future Dr. Altura was born on March 5, 1910. He finished his elementary education from Alimodian Elementary School, graduating in 1925. He then proceeded to Iloilo High School, and later transferred to the Iloilo Institute where he obtained his high school certificate in 1930. From there, he studied at the National University in Manila where he graduated in 1938 with the degree of Doctor of Dental Medicine.

     As a health practitioner, he has served with the Red Cross as junior dentist assigned in Iloilo and Cavite. During the war, he served as Chief Health Aider of the resistance movement led by Governors Tomas and Patricio Confesor. After the war, he became school dentist in Antique, rising through the ranks to become Division Dental Supervisor of that province.

    With many other members of the Altura family, Dr. Altura shares a love for music. He has conducted champion rondallas in competitions in Iloilo, Bacolod and Antique. He is also a talented composer. Aside from the 24 musical pieces that he has composed, he also did the libretto to three zarzuelas.

   He was married twice, first to Lourdes Alminaza of this community, and then to Iluminada Patino of San Jose, Antique. He has three children. He presently resides in San Jose, Antique.

Alimodian Firsts: Josefina Gimeno Villar


Mrs. Josefina Gimeno Villar
First Chemist of Alimodian



       Mrs. Josefina Gimeno Villar is the first chemist of Alimodian. She graduated from the Iloilo Normal School with an elementary teacher certificate. Not contented with it, she pursued her studies at the University of San Agustin and finished the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education, majoring mathematics. She taught mathematics at the former Alimodian High School for some years then transferred to the Bureau of Treasury, Manila. Her thirst for knowledge was not quenched not until she finished BS Chemistry and Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering at the Adamson University.

       Later, she was able to land a job in New York where she is still working. She married another engineer from the Bicol region. They resided at 87 Sherman Avenue, Williston Park, New York.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Engr. Arturo Amarra

Engr. Arturo Amarra
First Aeronautical Engineer and Professional Mechanical Engineer

       Engr. Arturo Amarra is the second son of the late Francisco Amarra and Teodosia Andutan.
       He is the first aeronautical engineer of Alimodian. Aside from being an aeronautical engineer, he is also a professional mechanical engineer.
       He is married to Cristeta Belardo, a holder of MA in Home Economics. She hails from Bago City, Negros Occidental.
       The couple has seven children who are professionals: Archimedes, manager of Union Bank; Ma. Milagros, doctor of medicine; Francisco, supervisor, Shell Refinery, Batangas City; Veronica, architect; Asteria, industrial engineer; Agustin, mechanical engineering student; Abraham, BSC, major in Agri. Business.
       Engr. Amarra has been the International Sugar Consultant of Marubeni Corporation.

Alimodian Firsts: Dolores Soberano


Mrs. Dolores Soberano
First Female BSE Graduate of Alimodian


        Mrs. Dolores Alvior Soberano, daughter of President Gregorio Alvior, is the first femae BSE graduate of Alimodian.

Alimodian Firsts: Casimiro Allones


Mr. Casimiro Allones
First District Supervisor

        Mr. Casimiro Allones saw the first light of day on February 24, 1911, the son of Anecito Allones and Tomasa Canonero, both natives of this town.

        He obtained his elementary and secondary education from Alimodian Central School and Iloilo Normal School, respectively. He finished his Junior Teacher Education Course from the Philippine Normal School before finally obtaining his education degree from the University of San Agustin.

        Right after graduation, he served as classroom teacher at Alimodian Central School from 1937 until the war broke out in 1941. During the years, he served the Philippine Army as 2nd Lieutenant in the 63rd Infantry Regiment.

        In 1946, when peace again reigned, Mr. Allones was promoted principal of Jordan Central School in Guimaras. He stayed there for a year and then was transferred to four other schools during the next 22 years.

        Finally, he was promoted to district supervisor of Leon district in 1961. In 1969, he was transferred to San Miguel and he stayed there until his retirement in 1977.

       He was married twice, first to Gertrudis Amparo, and then to Lourdes Amparo. He has nine children.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Remedios Anam


Miss Remedios Anam


First Female District Supervisor

       No educator has done much for the education of our youth than Miss Remedios Anam. This lady, who is small in size but big in ideas was born on April 29, 1911 in this town to Basilio Anam and Josefa Anayas.

       Mediong, as she is fondly called by her friends, graduated valedictorian in the Alimodian Elementary School and third honors in the Iloilo Normal School, now the West Visayas State University. She finished her BSE in Manila Quezon College. She has been grades school teacher from 1931 to 1950. Then in 1951 she was promoted principal of Jordan Elementary School. In 1956 she was again promoted as district supervisor in Duenas District and served in that position until 1964.

       It is often said that although how long the procession is, it has all the possibilities of returning to its place of origin. Then in 1965 Miss Anam was transferred to her native town where she spend the remaining years of her teaching career until her retirement on April 29, 1976.

      Miss Anam spent 46 years of her life in the education of our youth that she even forgot to take a life partner. This little lady deserves the veneration of all Alimodiananons who have been under her tutelage in the grades school. She died in 1998. 

Alimodian Firsts: Patrocinio Gaerlan


Mrs. Patrocinio Gaerlan


First Elementary School Principal of Alimodian

Mrs. Patrocinio Alvior Gaerlan, eldest daughter of Pres. Gregorio Alvior, is the first principal in an elementary school. She was also the matron of the Girl’s Government Dormitory before the war.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Teodosia Andutan Amarra


Teodosia Andutan Amarra
First Lady Councilor of Alimodian

        Mrs. Teodosia Andutan Amarra is the first lady councilor of our town. She was born on March 23, 1894 to Maria Juana Andicoy and Pedro Andutan. She took her elementary education under Mrs. Venancia Sta. Cruz Edurese in Grade I, under Mr. Gelacio Allones in Grade II and under Mr. Justo Puga in Grade III.

        After studying for three months in Grade II when she was only 13 years old, she was made to teach because there was an urgent need of teachers. She taught simple English and arithmetic. In 1919 she married 1st Sgt. Francisco Amarra and they resided in Camp Stotsenburg, Pampanga. The couple was blessed with only two sons, Arturo and Napoleon.

       Arturo is the first electrical engineer of our town. Later he pursued aeronautical and mechanical engineering. Napoleon became a doctor of medicine. He had been the resident physician of Aleosan District Hospital before his demise in 1980.
      When Mrs. Amarra became a widow, she devoted her life to the service of the church and the community. She has been an officer of various church organizations such as Sacred Heart Association, Catholic Women’s League and Dominican Tertiary. She is the first president of the Catholic Women’s League.
 
      She has improved the right wing of the church for the “Sabadohan.” She has contributed some amount for the shutters of the church.

     While she is active in the church, she is also involved politically. She has been a municipal councilor for six terms or for 26 years. She is one of the founders of the Alimodian High School and has donated a lot for the school site.

     Mrs. Amarra is also responsible for organizing the Alimodian Puericulture Center. When the center was finished there was no nurse to attend to the needs of the people, so she went to Manila to ask for a nurse. 

     In the twilight of her life Mrs. Amarra enjoys staying at home knitting, crocheting and embroidering. She also shows her culinary arts by cooking catsup, making preserves and pickles. She loves to read the Holy Bible which is her constant companion at a very old age. Well, that’s Mrs. Teodosia Amarra’s life in a nutshell.

Alimodian Firsts: David Rodriguez


David Rodriguez
First Holder of Master of Arts Degree


David Rodriguez is the first holder of a master’s degree in our town. He was born on June 22, 1907 to Jose Rodriguez and Francisca Amaguin, both residents of this community.

He finished his elementary education at the Alimodian Elementary School and his secondary education at Siliman Institute. He wanted to become an educator and he took up Bachelor of Science in Education at the same institution and graduated in 1934.

He joined the faculty of Philippine Women’s College, Iloilo City, where he taught chemistry for 37 years. While teaching at that college, he took up post graduate courses at Central Philippine University and finished Master of Arts degree in 1954.

After his retirement from the teaching profession, he joined the Rural Bank of Alimodian (Iloilo) and served as its president-manager for five years until his death on March 29, 1977.

Mr. Rodriguez is married to Dafrosa Alcon with whom he has two children, Florante, a CPA, and Laura, a Master of Arts graduate and an instructor in a Normal School in Cadiz City, Negros Occidental.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Gregorio Alvior


President Gregorio Alvior
First President of Alimodian


       Gregorio Alvior Y Tolentino was the first president of Alimodian after its separation from Leon. He was sworn into office on January 1, 1919. As the town head for many years, he did much for the progress of his town. He encouraged the people to plant bananas so that they could have food when staple crops failed. He also required the people to have galvanized iron roofs to prevent the havoc wrought by fires which caused damage in previous years.

        For all the good deeds that he did for his town, he was considered the father of his community.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Atty. Jesus P. Amparo


 Atty. Jesus P. Amparo
Assemblyman of Alimodian

          Jesus P. Amparo, ANCHS, Class 1955, is the first Alimodiananon to become assembly man. He is the son of Esteban A. Amparo and Angelina Patriarca. He finished his Associate of Arts at Central Philippine University in 1957 and his Bachelor of Laws in 1961. He practiced his profession and made good in this line. He became a social and civic leader in North Cotabato.
          He ran for congressman in North Cotabato and won in the election. While in Congress, he was made state minister for cultural minorities. He has been on official business to Taipei and Red China to accomplish his mission.
          He introduced several bills in Congress for the welfare of the people in North Cotabato whom he represented in the Congress.
          He is making good in the Batasang Pambansa and is in conference with President Marcos in Malacanan Palace during that time.
         He is married to Pilar Dolar with whom he has four children.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Atty. Rafael L. Almacen


Atty. Rafael L. Almacen
First Lawyer of Alimodian

        Atty. Rafael L. Almacen is the first lawyer of Alimodian. During the term of Mayor Simeon Salarda, he was delegated by the Municipal Council of the town to settle the boundary dispute between Alimodian and Cabatuan which started in 1919 and won the case.

        During the war he was the Sector Commander of the guerilla unit. He was also head of the Intelligence Unit of the G2 section.

        The Municipal Council of Alimodian passed a resolution asking the legal assistance of Atty. Almacen in solving the boundary dispute between Alimodian over Cabatuan, but up to now, the decision of the Provincial Board was not implemented.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Dr. Benjamin Alderete


Dr. Benjamin Alderete
First Doctor of Alimodian

        Dr. Benjamin Alderete is the first doctor of medicine in Alimodian. He is the only son of Leon Alderete and Geronima Almira, prominent citizens of the town. He graduated from the University of Sto. Tomas. He was the Vice Alcalde of Atty. Cipriano Cabaluna Sr. before the war. He is married to Albertina Valles of Bohol with whom he has six children: Zenaida, a physician; Nelida, nurse; Elizabeth, nutritionist; Mae, nurse; Benjamin Jr., a BS graduate and Cynthia, nutritionist.
       Dr. Alderete has been a doctor of the PC, Rural Health Unit of Alimodian and was later promoted as head of Patag Rest Settlement in Silay City. His latest position was in Pototan Mental Hospital. He has lived in Ohio, USA with his daughter Zenaida who is in active practice there.
       He died of heart disease a year after his return from the US.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Sr. Ma. Clemencia


Sr. Ma. Clemencia
First Nun of Alimodian

        On September 17, 1908, a daughter was born to the couple Jose Alingasa and Encarnacion Algallar of this town. The couple named her Constancia.

       The Alingasa’s being quite a religious family, Constancia and her three younger sisters were sent to the Assumption Convent in 1929 with the help of the local parish priest, Rev. Fr. Mariano Perez. In 1933, she took her vows of poverty and chastity and chose the name Sr. Ma. Clemencia. In that year, she went to Europe for her novitiate at Val Notre Dame in Belgium. After her novitiate, she went to Mons, one of the houses of Order of the Religious of Assumption in Belgium. She has also served in the houses of their order in Madrid, Spain, Canary Island and Miami, Florida. She celebrated her Golden Jubilee on July 2, 1983.
      She came home to the Philippines in 1978. She served in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States for the remaining years of her life. She died on June 3, 2013 at a hospice home in Lansdale, Pennsylvania at the age of 104. 


Source:

http://assumptionsisters.org/130604Clemobit

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Fr. Valente Alpane Alegro


Rev. Fr. Valente Alpane Alegro
First Parish Priest


           In the spiritual world we have our first parish priest in the person of Rev. Fr. Valente Alpane Alegro, who was ordained on March 11, 1928 in the chapel of the Carmelite Convent by Msgr. D.D. Jaime P. McCloskey, Bishop of Jaro.
        He celebrated his first mass in the Alimodian Parish Church on March 15, 1928.
       Rev. Fr. Valente Alpane Alegro was ordained parish priest in the chapel of the Carmelite Convent in Jaro on March 11, 1928 by Msgr. D.D. Jaime P. McCloskey, Bishop of Jaro.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Alimodian Firsts: Msgr. Ireneo Amantillo


Msgr. Ireneo Amantillo
First Bishop of Alimodian

                   Alimodian is doubly proud to present Msgr. Ireneo Amantillo, first bishop of Alimodian. He is the son of Eustaquio Amantillo and Soledad Alisla of Plaza Libertad. Bishop Amantillo obtained his elementary and secondary education in this town. He is an alumnus of the Alimodian High School, Class 1953.
            He joined the Redemptorist congregation on July 2, 1957 in Cebu City. He took his philosophy and theology courses in Mt. St. Alphonsus, Bangalore 5, Mysore, India from 1957 to 1962. He was ordained to priesthood on December 16, 1962 at St. Alphonsus Seminary, Cebu City.
           After his ordination he was assigned to missionary work in Iloilo, Antique, Negros Occidental, Cebu, Lanao del Sur, and Norte, Misamis Occidental and Oriental, Zamboanga del Sur, Bukidnon and South Cotabato in 1963 to 1975.
           He was Rector of Redemptorist Community, Iligan in 1967 to 1972; Vice Rector of Redemptorist Community, Bacolod in 1973 to 1975; Novice Master, Redemptorist Novitiate, Lipa City in 1975 to 1976; Appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Archbishop Patrick Cronin, SSC, D.D., Archbishop of Cagayan de Oro on January 10, 1976.
           Msgr. Amantillo was appointed first bishop of Tandag by Pope John Paul I on September 12, 1978. Up to the present, Msgr. Amantillo is the bishop of Tandag, Surigao.

Alimodian Firsts Introduction

Introduction

         Alimodian is truly proud to clarion to the whole world her sons and daughters who were pioneers in their respective fields of endeavor. They paved the way for their younger brothers and sisters to follow the imprint of their footsteps in the sand of time. These Alimodian “Firsts” deserve mention in the history of our town.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mayor Salvador Altura Administration


Alimodian Municipal Officials 1980 - 1986
     

        If history has to record the events of the immediate present, the administration of Mayor Salvador Altura as the incumbent head of the town is phenomenal in several aspects.

The Years Before the Mayoralty
      How Salvador Algabre Altura became the sixth head of the Municipality of Alimodian after the war is quite a history in itself that is deserving of a passing look back.
       In the annals of history of a society, or a small town like Alimodian, there comes a time when a person is born, prepared and obsessed to serve the town’s people through the intriguing and delicate field of politics. And this obsession was made manifest not immediately by the magnitude of his town-oriented accomplishments, but primarily with the struggle, the petty successes and the discouraging failures, he had to experience before he is finally given that opportunity to display the altruism he purports and preaches to practice.
       Salvador Altura had not a less arduous path to the coveted title of the Town Mayor. Handicapped with want of affluence and landlord-influence, he entered the contest in the political arena armed only with an obstinate sincerity and grim determination which, in the intricacy of the modern political scenario, are obviously not sufficient to surmount the advantage of the so-called electoral bread and butter.
       As a neophyte in the field of politics, he was first elected to the Municipal Council of Alimodian in November 1959. He served for the full duration of his term and again in November 1963 as an incumbent official, he was elected for another term as municipal councilor which lasted until 1967.

First Attempt and First Defeat
      Having reaped diverse experience and enough know-how in the conduct of municipal affairs during his stint as a municipal councilor, when the 1967 local elections was called, Salvador Altura stretched his ambition and filed his certificate of candidacy for the office of the municipal mayor. As the forsaken party candidate during the Nacionalista Party pre-election convention, he stubbornly opted to run as an independent Nacionalista candidate with Dr. Alejandro Nery Cruz as his running mate. In that election, running against three other protagonists, Miguel Anas of the Nacionalista Party, Santiago Anam of the Liberal Party, and Manuel Alegrado, an independent candidate, Salvador Altura and his running mate were miserably beaten, ranking third only with Miguel Anas and his running mate Gabriel Alingasa coming out as the clear victors. For Salvador Altura, in his first bid for mayoralty, he suffered his first major political setback.

Second Attempt and Second Defeat
       Maintaining an untainted rapport with his townmates, Salvador Altura’s second attempt at mayoralty came in November 1971 local elections. Joining camps with his erstwhile fellow protagonist Manuel Alegrado, and this time bearing the banner of the Liberal Party, he again ran for the office of the mayor with Mr. Alegrado as his running mate. Again, as if the right time had not yet arrived for either of them, Salvador Altura and Manuel Alegrado were nipped in the elections by the incumbent Mayor Miguel Anas and his running mate Antonio Anibigno. The lack of logistics and political machinery to offset that of their rivals was not even a reason as then they were campaigning against candidates backed by the ruling Nacionalista Party through its powerful patrons.
        That second defeat, however, spelled more than just another political setback in the career of Salvador Altura. Long before he had recovered from the throes of his second consecutive frustrated attempt at mayoralty, Martial Law was declared over the whole Philippines, thereby making the holding of future elections unpredictable and subject to the uncertainty awaiting the country under the new social order. And so suddenly for Salvador Altura, the dream to be a mayor became so distant and seemingly impossible.

1980 Local Elections: Victory for Mayor Altura
        The first local election since the declaration of Martial Law on September 21, 1972 was held on January 30, 1980. Undaunted by his past defeats and his desire to serve burning as ever, Salvador Altura, against the advice of his kin resolved to attempt the third time to get at that elusive mayoralty. Even his former political non-adherents were persuaded and convinced of his resolve so that even they readily gave him their support and precious subjects.
        He and his party cunning under the Independent Party banner lacked the necessary party support and faced the handicap of having as their protagonist the succession Mayor Antonio Anibigno of the Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL), and Retired Colonel Sergio Alcubilla of the Nacionalista Party. Moreover, because they belonged to an independent and un-accredited political party, they were not afforded the privilege of block-voting (i.e. party voting) which the candidates of the other two camps readily enjoyed as a telling advantage.
        Despite the apparently insurmountable odds, Salvador Altura and his running mate Silverio Amantillo launched their campaign, displaying their charisma and seasoning in the political arena. As he did in his attempts at mayoralty, Salvador Altura decided to visit again all the barangays of the municipality personally, thus reaffirming to the people in the hinterlands his commitment to serve them. The people in turn responded favorably to their appeal. Because the town was eager for a new administration and the communal atmosphere was ripe for the assumption of a man who has not much but a magnanimous obsession to serve his town’s people, Salvador Altura was elected mayor on his third attempt. And as if a fitting reward for all his past political setbacks, he garnered against his closest rival the margin of 1122 votes, the highest ever recorded in the more recent local polls in the town.

The Composition of the Incumbent Sangguniang Bayan
         In the 1980 local elections, elected with Mayor Salvador Altura were his running mate Silverio Amantillo, vice-mayor; Geronimo Balolot (Independent), Cornelio Alejo (KBL), Rene Loredo (KBL), Ernesto Alejado (KBL), Juanita Alinsao (KBL), Angelo S.C. Aninao (Independent), Cirilo Caparanga (KBL), and Emmanuel Adricula (Independent), Sangguniang Bayan members. Later, they were joined in the sanggunian by presidential appointee Encarnacion Anas in April 1980 as the president and representative of the Association of Barangay Captains (ABC) of Alimodian, who in turn was succeeded by Rodolfo Anas in April 1982. By virtue of his appointment by the President of the Philippines and pursuant to his position as the president of the Municipal Federation of the Kabataang Barangay (KB), Salvador Altura Jr. was also inducted member of the Sangguniang Bayan in September 1980. Mr. Cecilio Alli continued to serve as the Secretary of the Sangguniang Bayan.
        Mayor Salvador Altura and his fellow elected town officials were inducted into office by Governor Conrado J. Norada. They assumed office on March 3, 1980 amidst lavish and sentiment-evoking ceremonies at the Alimodian Public Market. The traditional “rigodon de honor” participated in by the cream of the town was performed as the finale.
        Mayor Altura’s administration is characterized by cooperation, politically non-partisan public relations, sincerity, hard work initiative, and a conspicuous compassion for the plight of the poor.

The Sangguniang Bayan and the Local Government
         Complement by cooperative Sangguniang Bayan members, Mayor Altura presides over the august body with an open ear to the manifold suggestions and advice of his confreres. Shedding off the political differences occasioned by the election he maintains a non-partisan attitude towards all the members of the sanggunian, thereby creating a common sense of involvement in the community affairs among them. Through this, various resolutions have been passed that proved beneficial to the community.
         Majority of these resolutions pertains to appropriations for infrastructure projects.
         One of the first projects undertaken by Mayor Altura upon his assumption of office was the lighting of the streets with fluorescent fixtures. Taking into consideration the fact that when Mayor Altura assumed office Alimodian was already considered a critical area by reason of the operations of dissident forces in its mountainous portions, the lighting of the streets reduced the town people’s apprehension in travelling about the poblacion, especially at night time and considerably curbed criminality in the town. The intermittent lack of electric power supply, however, remains an inconvenience that even Mayor Altura himself is not capacitated to resolve.
         During the rainy months of the year, the Aganan River often overflows its banks, thus endangering the lives and property of people residing along its banks, and the pumping station of the source of the local potable water supply. Floods were most frequent and destructive in 1980 so that Mayor Altura was prompted to make negotiations with the Ministry of Public Works and Highways for the deepening and rechanelling of the river course. Because of this, the flow of the current to the eastern portion of the town was considerably reduced kaing it temporarily safe to reside therein. Considering, however, that the course of the river is unpredictable is yet the need to construct a permanent embankment along the river side nearest the poblacion.
         Appropriations from the local treasury have also financed many projects in the poblacion and the barangays.

The 1983 SISA Meet
         The Southern Iloilo Sports Association (SISA), of which Alimodian is one of the component municipalities, had for its 1983 district competitions Alimodian as the venue. The competition was participated in by the different delegations from town members of the association: Oton, Tigbauan, Guimbal, Miagao, San Joaquin, Igbaras, Leon, San Miguel, Alimodian and Iloilo National High School. Because of the big number of delegates that trooped to the town, these delegates were housed in the Alimodian Central School, Alibango Elementary School, and Alimodian National Comprehensive High School, the venue of the athletic games.
         Because of the importance and the responsibility attached to the conduct of this event, the town the local government and the local teaching force, especially, had to make major plans and necessary adjustments.
         The athletic field in the ANCHS compound had to be widened and leveled to meet the standard dimensions. To avoid the almost a million peso cost estimate for this gargantuan task, which, after all, the municipal coffer could not afford to defray, Mayor Altura made arrangements with the FF Cruz and the Company which was then hauling sand and gravel in the Aganan River to avail of the services of its machinery. The project was undertaken under the supervision of Mayor Altura himself and was completed in time for the SISA meet with least expense.
        The athletic field now lies expansively at the slope of the hilly back portion of the ANCHS compound.

The Alimodian Water District
        When Mayor Altura assumed office, one of the dominant problems that fronted the municipality was the fact that the people in the poblacion were not provided with better water supply despite the fact that the local government was spending much for the maintenance of the local water system. People whose houses are far from the water source or else are situated on the higher portions of the poblacion were prone to complain that they were deprived of the beneficial use of the potable water.
         Responding to the clamor of the populace, the local government made a feasibility study on the possibility of improving the local water system.
         The feasibility study led to the holding of a public hearing at the public market wherein, pursuant to a resolution of the Sangguniang Bayan, the townspeople were asked whether they were amenable to the local government’s plan to transfer the management and operation of the local water supply from the local government to the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA). This is a special government agency given charge of the organization of the local water districts.
         The townspeople finally convinced of the benefits offered by and economy of the proposal, voted for the plan so that the Sangguniang Bayan, by virtue of Resolution No. 82 series of 1981, transferred ownership, management and operation of the local water supply to the Alimodian Water District (AWD), which was organized on November 9, 1981 as required by the LWUA procedures. The formal turn-over responsibility was on December 6, 1981.
        The local water supply now being owned and operated by a cooperative composed of the consumer/members themselves, and managed by their own officers, therefore spared the local government from the expensive maintenance of the water system and they are now properly served.
Although it still occasionally asks for minimal financial subsidy from the local government, the Alimodian Water District is now operating as a cooperative endeavor.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Term of Mayor Antonio Anibigno

Mayor Antonio Anibigno ( Mayor January 10, 1974 – March 3, 1980)



The Energization of Alimodian

         On May 5, 1975 Alimodian was energized by ILECO I with its main office in Tigbauan, Iloilo. Three-hundred and fifty households in the poblacion and 42 in the barangays of Buhay, Bancal, Lanot, Binalud and Balabago, were the first recipients of electrification. At present thousands of households avail of the power from the ILECO.
        The electrification was a boon to the municipality. Since light was available, people could do jobs in the evening which were normally done at daytime. Students could study as long as they want to, not in the flickering glow of the kerosene lamp, but under the blazing light of the fluorescent fixtures.
        As a result of the electrification, the people started buying appliances powered by electricity. Thus, the number of households owning TV sets, refrigerators, cassettes, stereos, bed lamps, and etc. increased considerably, thus affording the people more convenience and recreation. Electrification is a great help to other institutions like the schools, the Municipal Hall, the Aleosan District Hospital and other buildings in the community.
       On January 10, 1974 upon the resignation of Mayor Miguel Anas, Vice Mayor Antonio Anibigno automatically held the reins of the local government. Mayor Anibigno was technically trained in the Iloilo School of Arts and Trades and he was very much interested in pushing through the various projects of the town.

Roads and Bridges
       Since the road in the southern end of Freedom Highway was in danger of being washed away by the floods of the Aganan River, a flood control was constructed there. The same control was made at the end of V. Salarda Street which was also in danger of being destroyed by the flood.
      Mayor Anibigno also had the damaged roads repaired. Aside from this, he had Magallanes and Legaspi Streets made concrete. He also worked for the cementing of the road in the corner of Almacen and Alvior Street and a portion of Magtanong Street.
      He put up the Poblacion-Bulod-Ban-ag farm to market feeder road this lessening the problem of transporting products for sale at the market.
      The Balua Bridge, which posed hazard to both pedestrians and vehicles, was repaired and railings were put up to make it safe. Besides this, the Ubodan Bridge was also made safe for vehicles to drive over. The Bagumbayan-Cagay farm to market road was also repaired to facilitate the transport of products from the northern barrios to the poblacion and to the city.

Schools and Public Buildings
       Mayor Anibigno also facilitated the improvement of the barrio schools of Alibango, Ugbo, Sulong, Coline, Dalid, Pajo, Ingwan, Quinaspan, Gines and Cabacanan and the Home Economics building of Bancal Elementary School.

The Agony Hill
       The Agony Hill, the place of pilgrimage during the Holy Week in the town, was constructed when Fr. Nicolas Caberoy was the assistant priest in Alimodian. After it was finished and blessed, it attracted many pilgrims not only from the town proper and from the neighboring towns of Leon and San Miguel but also in the city and other towns in the Province of Iloilo.
       Because of its popularity as a religious shrine, the Municipal Council passed a resolution declaring the Agony Hill a tourist spot. This was beneficial to both church and state. Truckloads of pilgrims ascend Agony Hill every Holy Week especially on Good Friday. This is a way how people can recall the passion and agony of our Lord Jesus Christ. On the other hand, the municipality becomes the center of worship and business becomes brisk, hence, there is an added revenue for the town.

Day Care Center Service
      Mayor Anibigno was able to implement the order of the First Lady, Mrs. Imelda Marcos to organize the Day Care Center services which was an integrated Social Welfare project. It is beneficial on the part of working mothers as they can just leave their children at the Day Care Center and help earn a living for the family. On the other hand, children are benefitted as they earn to sing, recite, dance and socialize with children of their age. In addition the nutritional needs of the children are also supplemented by the feeding which is given free.

The Public Market
      The public market had also its share of the improvement. The dilapidated portion was repaired and the space around the market stalls was made concrete. A basketball court was also constructed at the public market with mercury lights to facilitate games at night time especially during the Summer Sports fest. The permanent stage at the market was renovated and made bigger to provide space for the program especially during the fiesta. It was also repainted. Mayor Anibigno also had the Municipal Hall repainted to make it look clean and attractive.

The Alimodian National Comprehensive High School
      The ANCHS had also its share of the improvement as it was given P15,000 for the construction of the grandstand in time for the WISA meet in November 1976. This grandstand is still proudly standing at the hillside of the ANCHS.

Increased Revenue
      In terms of revenue, Mayor Anibigno worked for the tax mapping of the whole poblacion and barrios. With the loan from the provincial government, the Provincial Assessor’s Office was able to conduct the tax mapping which means the reassessment of taxation and an added revenue of the town.

The Ordination of Msgr. Ireneo Amantillo
     The town is very proud to have one of her sons ordained bishop on March 15, 1976 at St. Clements Church, La Paz, Iloilo City. A thanksgiving mass was offered by Bishop Amantillo followed by a banquet in his honor at the Alimodian National Comprehensive High School Social Hall. Bishop Amantillo is an alumnus of the ANCHS. He is now the bishop of Tandag, Surigao del Norte.

The Death of the Five Policemen
     A tragic incident happened on August 20, 1978 which caused the death of five policemen who were on mission to Brgy. Tarug a day before. Nothing untoward happened while they were performing their mission in that barangay. But while they were on the way back to town the following day, they were ambushed by the anti-government forces while they were about to cross the river in Brgy. Ugbo. All of the five policemen, Patrolmen Silvio Amaguin, Bernardo Alinday, Agustin Alitre, Romeo Alipat and Florencio Aligor were all slain on the spot. The townspeople felt their great loss to the police force and all mourned for their untimely demise.

His Bid for Reelection
     Mayor Antonio Anibigno ran for reelection after his term under the banner of the KBL but was defeated by an independent candidate, Salvador Altura, who had a margin of thousands of votes.

Alimodian First Bank and Hospital


The Rural Bank of Alimodian (Iloilo) Inc.


How the Rural Bank of Alimodian came into existence was a long and tedious process.
It has long been the dream of the local leaders of the municipality of Alimodian to put up a rural bank to help the people, especially the farmers and the low income group so that they would be free from the clutches of the loan sharks who lent money at usurious rates of interest.

This dream was realized during the incumbency of the late Mayor Miguel A. Anas. Mayor Anas received brochures from the Central Bank of the Philippines containing instruction on how to open a rural bank sometime in 1973. Concerned with the plight of the poor, he took this opportunity to invite Mrs. Elisa Nicer Ampane to help him work on the project.

The first task that Mrs. Ampane undertook was to solicit interested persons to be the original stockholders. This was a task that needed courage and patience in encouraging people with money and of good moral standing in the community to join hands in establishing a rural bank. Putting in hard-earned cash for a project that seemed remote and uncertain made people reluctant to join the project, Mrs. Ampane, the lone campaigner, braved and accepted comments and even embarrassing statements from prospective stockholders.

However, the campaigner went on until finally, the required number of incorporators and subscribers with the corresponding amount pledged for support was met. Notices for public meetings to prospective stockholders were made. Representatives from the Central Bank of the Philippines, Manila came to interview each incorporator and stockholder and they promised to put up their initial capital.

The original incorporators who were able to put up a sizeable amount for the bank to start with are: Mr. Eusebio Aguilar, Mrs. Digna Anino, Mr. David Rodriguez, Mrs. Natividad A. Alger, Mr. Restituto Alip, Mr. Liberato G. Suelo, Mr. Ramon Amaguin, Mrs. Paz A. Alfeche, Dr. David Salarda Jr. and Mr. Aquilino A. Salarda.

Mayor Miguel A. Anas, with the help of Mrs. Elisa Ampane and the guidance of Mr. Serafin A. Aligaen, prepared the application and rushed the submission of the documents to the Central Bank to beat the deadline on May 12, 1973. From then on, additional papers were required by the Central Bank and these were all complied with.

Finally, all efforts were rewarded when the application to the Central Bank of the Philippines under the Department of Rural Bank and Savings and Loans Association was approved on May 2, 1974.
Right after the approval of the application, the building for the Rural Bank of Alimodian was constructed on Almacen Street fronting the left wing of the parish church under the supervision of the late David A. Rodriguez, who was elected the first president.

With all the requirements met and the building ready for use, the rural bank was registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 22, 1976. Key officers and employees were sent to the Central Bank for training as a requirement for the opening of the bank. They were: Mr. David A. Rodriguez, president-manager; Mr. Liberato Suelo, treasurer-cashier; Mrs. Elisa N. Ampane, corporate secretary-bookkeeper; and Mr. Paquito B. Causing, inspector-appraiser.

Right after the training of the key officials, the Rural Bank of Alimodian (Iloilo) Inc. was formally inaugurated on December 31, 1974 with Atty. Carlomagno Canonero and his party as representatives of the Central Bank of the Philippines, Manila present.

On February 6, 1975, representatives from the Central Bank came to open the books of accounts to formally start the business.

From then on, the bank has continued to serve its clientele from the Municipality of Alimodian and the neighboring towns. The bank accepts savings and time deposits, agricultural loans, special financing programs of the government.

As the community grows, the Rural Bank of Alimodian also grows. It has gained the trust and confidence of the people and it is hoped that it will help in the development of the community as well as the nation.


ALEOSAN District Hospital

It was during the incumbency of Mayor Miguel Anas when the Aleosan General Hospital, now ALEOSAN District Hospital was founded. The Iloilo Provincial Hospital, now West Visayas Medical Center, is quite far from the three towns of Alimodian, Leon and San Miguel, and when there is an emergency, patients cannot avail of medical help the earliest possible.

Through the persistent request of Mayor Miguel Anas, the late Cong. Ramon Tabiana was able to have Republic Act No. 4854 passed creating and subsidizing the Aleosan General Hospital. It was founded in April 1968.

It was first housed in the building where the TESDA office and the Day Care Center is now located. 

It was just a 25-bed capacity with a modest appropriation of P100,000. The first chief of hospital was Dr. Arturo Ardena, who became the director of the West Visayas Medical Center in Mandurriao, Iloilo City.

When the appropriation for the building was released, the hospital was transferred to Bancal, Alimodian on July 18, 1968. It strategically located in Bancal because it is the center of the three towns.

The townspeople are forever grateful to the donors of the lots where the hospital now stands. Had it not been for their benevolence, we would not have an ideal site for the hospital. The donors are Mrs. Pilar vda. de Salarzon, Mr. & Mrs. Maximo Tina, Mr. Saturnino Anas, Mrs. Fortunata Sabido, Mr. Juan Amigleo, Mr. Esperidion Canonero and Mr. & Mrs. Delfin Benas.

The hospital has served the three towns for the past 41 years. People who could not afford hospitalization in private hospitals can avail of treatment in the free wards.

The ALEOSAN District Hospital extends the following services: major and minor surgery, laboratory examination, dental examination, X-ray, family planning (minilap and vasectomy) free of charge, medical treatment, pediatric, obstetrics and gynecology cases.

In this time when everything is very expensive, the ALEOSAN District Hospital is a blessing to the people in the three towns and the surrounding towns of Oton, Maasin and Tubungan.

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Incumbency of Mayor Miguel Anas

         It was the obsession of Atty. Miguel Anas to serve the town he loved very much. After the term of Mayor Simeon Salarda, Atty. Miguel Anas was elected mayor in his third attempt to the top berth. He is remembered today as a sturdy man who betrays his small size every time the need for steadfastness was called for. He is also remembered as a man of action.

        As the town chief executive, he saw to it that all phases of his administration was taken cared of to the satisfaction of the townspeople. During his term of office he accomplished many things.

Renaming of Streets, History and Heraldry
       Mayor Anas had a veneration of our local heroes and town heads that did some worthy accomplishments for our town. With the members of the Sangguniang Bayan, he renamed Concepcion Street, where the Alimodian Central Elementary School now stands, to Magtanong Street, in honor of Agustin Magtanong the founder of Alimodian; San Eusebio Street, to Rodriguez; San Gelacio to R. Libo-on; San Sixto to A. Amparo, Sto. Nino to G. Allones, the main street going south which was Roosevelt Street formerly to Freedom Highway; San Modesto to T. Algallar Street; Solana St. to Cabaluna Street and Encarnacion to R. Almacen Street. The street names used are family names of local leaders.
       In the regular session of the Sangguniang Bayan a proclamation was issued that January 8 of every year will be called Magtanong Day in honor of Agustin Magtanong, the founder of the town. The program and field mass were held in Magtanong Park. It was also during the incumbency of Mayor Anas when Sitio Balua, the place where Major Alvior was killed by the Japanese, and Barangays Taban and Balabago were declared historical spots. Taban is a barangay across the river from poblacion where many civilians were massacred by the Japanese during the war; while Balabago is the barangay where the first ambush of the Japanese by Col. Peralta’s men took place. That ambush marked the start of guerilla movement in Panay.

Roads, Bridges and River Control
       To facilitate the easy transportation of products from the northern barrios to market, Mayor Anas was able to secure fund for the construction of the road from the poblacion to Barangay Tabog, some 20 kilometers away. Unluckily, the road that was finished was up to Cagay only which is just 8 to 10 kilometers from the poblacion. The old bridge in Canonero Street was repaired and made presentable to be seen on the main street. To make the market look clean, a concrete embankment was constructed in San Rufino Street. The street surrounding the public market was also made concrete. The gravel road from the poblacion to Bancal was maintained by the administration by spreading sand and gravel just before the start of the rainy season.
       It was the public knowledge during that time that the dynamic mayor even went to the extent of spending nights in the pumping station when some engines were out of order.
      To house the other local, provincial and national offices in the Municipal Hall, Anas was able to secure funds for the annex that are seen on the northern and southern sides of the Municipal Hall.
      He was also able to have a waiting shed constructed in front of the Municipal Hall for passengers.
      The greatest achievement of the Anas administration was the establishment of the Rural Bank of Alimodian (Iloilo) in 1973. It was a great help to the townspeople.
      Mayor Anas also caused the cementing of the bridge that spans Soledad and San Inocencio Streets. During his term the Municipal Council appropriated the sum of P10,800 to maintain the flood control project. With the onset of the rainy season Mayor Anas saw to it that the flood control in the eastern part of the town was maintained.

Cleanliness and Beautification Project
      Cleanliness and beautification program were at their peak during the tenure of Mayor Anas. The proof of this was when the San Juan-Paraiso-Sto. Nino Streets got an award of P5,000 in the National Cleanliness and Beautification Contest in street planting category. The amount received was used to purchase iron grills and cement to beautify further the street.
      He also improved the Municipal Cemetery by enclosing it with a fence and assigning a permanent worker to keep up its cleanliness.

Education, Health and Water Supply
      Mayor Anas was for the improvement of school houses of the different barrio schools. He was able to request six Pre-fab school houses for the barrios.
       In 1968 the Alimodian National Comprehensive High School was yet a vocational school and some parents wanted academic preparation for their children. To fulfill the need of an academic education, Mayor Anas put up a Community High School which was housed at the Alimodian Central Elementary School building. This school lasted only for three years and the students in that school were made to transfer to the Alimodian National Vocational School.
      To avail the people in the barrios with secondary education with less expense and hardship, Mayor Anas organized the Gines Barangay High School which is still in existence up to this time.
      Health problems and needs of the people in Barangay Tarug were taken cared of when a health center was put up by the Anas administration.

Economic Development and Revenue of Alimodian
      To generate more income for the town, Mayor Anas improved the public market. All spaces around the market were made concrete in order to improve sanitation. Market stalls were constructed on the northern, eastern and southern portions; hence, businessmen could easily engage in carinderia, fruit and grocery business.

     When he ascended the mayoralty, the town was a fifth class municipality. He tried all means to improve collection of taxes and other revenues so that in no time the municipality was elevated to fourth class.

Other Achievements
      It was during the tenure of Mayor Anas when the local government took over the administration of the water system. It was done to improve water supply at the least expense for the town.

The Term Of Atty. Miguel A. Anas


          
Atty. Miguel A. Anas  (Mayor  - 1968 – 1971; 1972 – January 9, 1974)




             Miguel A. Anas was born to the couple, Tiburcio Anas and Maria Alli in Barangay Buhay, Alimodian, Iloilo on May 8, 1921. He took up his primary education in San Antonio Primary School and his intermediate grades in Alimodian Central Elementary School.
            His parents at first wanted him to enroll at the Iloilo School of Arts and Trades but the young Miguel enrolled at the Iloilo High School.
            When the war broke out, Miguel was in the third year. After graduation from high school, he enrolled at Panay College for his Associate in Arts for it has been his ambition to be a lawyer.
             In 1948, Miguel was in the first year law proper at the Colegio de San Agustin when he showed keen interest in politics by campaigning for the candidacy of Patricio Confesor for congressman in the third district of Iloilo. After the victory of Confesor, Miguel Anas became the special clerk of Congressman Confesor.
            While he was working as a clerk in congress, he continued his studies at the Philippine Law School, where he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1952. He took the Bar Examination and passed it on January 25, 1954 with the rating of 80.41.
            On May 6, 1954 Atty. Anas married Lydia Ajeno of Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo. He was appointed Election Registrar of Sta. Barbara, Iloilo on November 2, 1954 and stayed in that position until December 19, 1965. President Macapagal appointed him Justice of the Peace Court of Badiangan, Iloilo and served in that position until January 22, 1966. Later he resigned and returned to his private practice. Later, he was again appointed Election Registrar of Sta. Barbara, Iloilo a position which he held until January 30, 1966. From July 1, 1966 to December 31, 1966, he was again on his private practice of law.
           On January 1, 1967 he was legal counsel of some seven operators of passenger trucks in the province of Iloilo.
           On November 14, 1967 he won as mayor of Alimodian and was sworn to office on January 1, 1968.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Term of Mayor Simeon Salarda




 Mayor Simeon Salarda  (Mayor - 1964 – 1965)        


Mayor Salarda y Alingasa is the second of a dozen children of the spouses Vicente Salarda and Camila Alingasa. He graduated from the Alimodian Central Elementary School in 1926 as a salutatorian, but due to poverty, he enrolled in the Iloilo Normal School in 1930 only as a self-supporitng student by playing saxophone and clarinet with the then famous BUTTERFLY ORCHESTRA. For further education, he attended evening class in college after WWII as a veteran while working with the Police Department at day time. After he was appointed Instrumental Music Teacher in the Iloilo City High School, he attended summer classes. He taught Grades III-IV in Alibango Primary School and taught intermediate music in Iloilo City.


Pre-Mayoralty Days
        As a clerk, he worked in the Office of the Division Superintendent of Schools, in the Law Office of Atty. P.M. Miguel and in the Provincial Auditor’s Office. Lastly, he was the Auditing Aide of the Alimodian National Comprehensive High School, where he resigned to run for mayor in the 1963 elections under the Liberal Party.
        He won together with his Vice Mayor Gabriel Alingasa and Councilors Patrocinio Canonero, Natalia Amparado, Felix Anas, Jose Anico, Antonio Anibigno and Aquiles Cabaluna. Geronimo Balolot and Salvador Altura of the Nacionalista Party were also elected councilors. Mayor Salarda was opposed by Mr. Manuel Alegrado, a retired school teacher, Atty. Miguel Anas and the incumbent mayor David Alfeche. In his first attempt in 1955, he lost against the ten year incumbent Mayor Simeon Canonero. After the end of his term, he reinstated in the Office of the Provincial Auditor as Assistant Chief of Section where he retired in January 1973.
        As a Mayor, his most valuable and lasting accomplishments was the DEFEAT of the Municipality of Cabatuan of their almost half century old claim over a large area of land belonging to and within the territorial boundary of the Municipality of Alimodian. Taxes from the recovered parcels of land will boost the yearly income of Alimodian for eternity.

Cabatuan – Alimodian Boundary Dispute
       One of the greatest achievements of the Salarda administration was the follow up of the territorial boundary between Cabatuan and Alimodian which started way back in 1919.
       The case was activated again when Cabatuan passed Resolution No. 282, Series 1964 requesting the Provincial Assessor of the Province of Iloilo to transfer the tax declarations of the lots referred to in Resolutions No. 281, Series of 1964 from the Municipality of Alimodian to the Municipality of Cabatuan.
       On January 17, 1965, in reply to Resolution No. 282, Series 1964 dated November 8, 1964 of Cabatuan, Alimodian passed Resolution No. 2, Series 1965 requesting the Provincial Assessor that the Municipal Council of Alimodian is strongly opposed to the said resolution of Cabatuan.
       On February 14, 1965 Alimodian passed Resolution No. 7, Series 1965 requesting the Provincial Board to settle the boundary case and Resolution No. 8, Series 1965 requesting the Municipal Council of Cabatuan to leave the area status quo.
       On March 10, 1965 the Provincial Board called both the Municipal Councils of Alimodian and Cabatuan to a conference at the Provincial Board Session Hall for an amicable settlement but no agreement had been reached as to the matter requested in Resolutions Nos. 7 and 8, Series 1965 of Alimodian.
       The Provincial Board then created a committee of three composed of Atty. Ricardo Gerochi, secretary of the Provincial Board as Chairman; Atty. Jose Robles, Legislative Aide and Atty. Gregorio Guadalupe, assistant secretary of the Provincial Board as members, to hear the dispute and through a letter of even date, the secretary of the Provincial Board requested all parties concerned to appear on the hearing of the boundary dispute set for April 28, 1965 and for them to be ready to adduce on their respective claim.
       On April 4, 1965 the Municipal Council of Alimodian passed Resolution No. 17 Series 1965 officially designating Atty. Rafael L. Almacen as Chief Counsel for Alimodian on the above entitled boundary case.
       Various hearings were conducted before the above mentioned committee created by the Provincial Board. As a result of the hearings and the ocular investigation conducted by the committee, recommendations were submitted to the Provincial Board. Acting upon the result of the hearings, report and recommendation of the committee, on October 15, 1966 in its regular session resolved the boundary case.
       On November 9, 1966 the Provincial Board handed down its decision on the boundary case, sustaining the theory of Alimodian and rejecting that of the Municipality of Cabatuan and thereby fixing the boundary between the two municipalities to start from MBM No. 26 at Mt. Igcaratong straight towards MBM No. 22 at Mt. Daigon.
       Provincial Assessor advised the SB Secretary to secure a certification from the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Secretary to the effect that the decision of November 9, 1966 rendered by the defunct Provincial Board of Iloilo is final and executory.
      Acting upon the advice of the Provincial Assessor, the Sangguniang Bayan of Alimodian on February 7, 1982 passed Resolution No. 7, Series 1982 requesting the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Secretary to issue a certification to the effect that the decision handed by the defunct Provincial Board dated November 9, 1966 is final and executory. Upon receipt of this resolution, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Secretary referred by the Provincial Attorney to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan for resolution. The same was favorably resolved by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan and returned to the Provincial Attorney for its opinion. The Provincial Attorney advised the Sangguaniang Panlalawigan Secretary to issue a certification as requested for in Resolution No. 7, Series 1982 of the Sangguniang Bayan of Alimodian.
     On a follow up made by the Sangguniang Bayan Secretary of Alimodian with the office of the Provincial Attorney he was verbally informed by Atty. Romeo Suelan that he has already sent proper indorsement to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Secretary with the advise that the latter shall issue the requested certification in favor of the Municipality of Alimodian.
     Up to now the said certification was not issued by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan as they are still looking for the records of the case. Mr. Cecilio Alli, Sangguniang Bayan Secretary of Alimodian was advised to wait until such time that the records could be recovered.
     More than two years have passed yet the Sangguniang Bayan of Alimodian has not received the long awaited certification.
     The Boundary case between Cabatuan and Alimodian was defended by Atty. Rafael, Almacen, the first lawyer of Alimodian. In a resolution the Municipal Council of Alimodian awarded Atty. Almacen a gold medal with this inscription:

“EVERLASTING REMEMBRANCE TO THE BELOVED SON OF ALIMODIAN, OUR FIRST PROFESSIONAL LT. COL. RAFAEL L. ALMACEN Y JUAREZ IN RECOGNITION OF HIS VALUABLE AND VICTORIOUS SERVICES RENDERED IN THE DISPUTED TERRITORY BY CABATUAN SINCE 1919 UP TO 1966. “

     Upon the receipt of the award Atty. Almacen wrote a lengthy letter which he read to the members of the Municipal Council, which part reads:
     “The most delicate mission you, all of you, have given me is now finally and successfully obtained. In one word, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. No further question is asked how I got it. Your diligent and simpatico mayor, Simeon Salarda, can now tell you the hardships, difficulties we have had to undergo to prepare for the real fight against the unfounded claim of Cabatuan over a certain territory consisting of the barrios of Mambawi, Ban-ag and Coline.”

Other Achievements
      Mayor Salarda’s other accomplishments were: the cementing of Alegria, Inocencio, Rizal, G. Allones and San Juan Streets; construction of rural road to Barrio Coline, the chapel in the cemetery, the Lunch Counter in the Central School, the reconstruction of the old school building at the plaza to house the Municipal Library; the opening of schools in barrios Cunsad , Bugang and Umingan. He put up the temporary ALEOSAN Emergency Hospital in the abandoned Home Economics building, the forerunner of the now ALEOSAN DISTRICT HOSPITAL in Bancal. The policy then was for the government to appropriate funds for emergency hospitals then existing, so, thru the advice of Congresswoman Gloria Tabiana, said emergency hospital was put up in the poblacion to meet the basic requirement. As an affiliate of the Provincial Hospital, a team of doctors and nurses from the Provincial Hospital came to Alimodian every Tuesday and Friday to examine and treat patients with minor ailments, while serious cases were brought to the Provincial Hospital. For more than a year, Mayor Salarda served lunch prepared from his own personal funds to the visiting team when they were in Alimodian. After Director of Hospital Pedro Mayuga in company with Congresswoman Tabiana verified the existence of the hospital, the appropriation for the construction of the hospital was approved in Congress. However, for lack of the required site in the poblacion, the hospital was built in Bancal.
       His most worthwhile memories were: (1) When he was gathering land tax declarations and land tax receipts from residents bordering the old boundary between Alimodian and Cabatuan; (2) Tracing on foot with Atty. Almacen the old and new boundaries from Mt. Daigon in Hanawhanaw to Mt. Igcaratong in Mambawi; (3) Tracing on foot with Atty. Rafael Almacen and then Councilor Antonio Anibigno the old and new boundaries between Alimodian and Maasin from Mambawi to Barrio Punong. (4) His travel on foot to the farthest, highest and mountainous barrio of Umingan, the first mayor to reach the place, such that the following year, school was opened there. His footsteps were followed by Parish Priest Ismael Castano with a team of Cursillistas including Atty. Mariano Toledo to Christianize the native “bukidnons” as they were formerly called; and (5) When implanting the huge wooden cross on top of Igcaras Hill now known as the “AGONY HILL”. Without the use of any modern mechanical devices, but only with ropes and bamboo poles the Cursillitas did the job perfectly. At the time, Mayor Salarda was the chairman of Cursillo Movement in Alimodian.
        Mayor Salarda is happily married to Jovita Aligaen, daughter of the spouses Anacleto Aligaen and Consolacion Aguillon. The following are the children of Mr. and Mrs. Salarda:

(1) Judge Simeonito married to Midwife Remedios Tolentino
(2) Nurse Cecilia S. Datu, formerly Senior Nursing Consultant, Operation Brotherhood, Laos, now Asst. Supervisor, OR, West Covina, Los Angeles, California married to Civil Engr. Orlando D. Datu, Asst. Vice President, Construction Control Department, Great Western Savings and Loan Association, LA, California;
(3) Nurse Ma. Luz S. Alcudia married to Col. Quintin A. Alcudia
(4) Chem. Engr. Nicolas Salarda, Production Manager, Fil-Hispano Tiles, Manila married to Nurse Lina Altura, Asst. Dean, College of Nursing, MCU;
(5) Nurse Violeta Salarda died in line of duty as Nurse of Operation Brotherhood, Laos;
(6) BSEED Rodolfo, Agriculture and Industrial Arts Teacher, Sinamay Elementary School, married to BSEED Julie Anas, Head Teacher, Sinamay Elementary School;
(7) Rev. Fr. Patricio, Former Parish Priest of Igbaras, Iloilo

       Mayor Salarda believes that someday, Alimodian will experience another boundary disputeand the best solution, he said, is to take the case of the proper agencies of the government.
       The Agony Hill project was conceived and initiated by the Cursillistas under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Nicolas Caberoy, assistant parish priest of the town. It was started in November 1966. Their first move was to raise funds for the project. A raffle was held and they were able to have a margin which was enough to finance the erection of the big wooden cross.
       The big cross was hewn out of mulawon tree found at the foot of Igcaras Hill. Aided by carabaos, men carried the hewn cross to the summit of the Hill. The erection of the cross was the climax of execution of the project of the Cursillistas on February 19, 1967. It was such a big cross as it weighed almost two tons. It was planted on its foundation by some 50 men with the use of bamboos and ropes.
      The cross stands as an inspiration for the residents to recall the sorrows and passion of our Lord especially during the Lenten season.
      Before the end of the Lenten season, thousands of Catholics ascend the Agony Hill to pray “The Way of the Cross”.
      When the fourteen stations and the big wooden cross wore finished, the Agony Hill was blessed and inaugurated by then Auxiliary Bishop, most Reverend Jaime L. Sin, D.D. on May 3, 1967 at 3:30 in the afternoon.
      Never to be forgotten in the construction of this project is Rev. Fr. Nicolas Caberoy, who devoted his time and efforts so that the project could be materialized.

Nuffnang Ad