Pura Villanueva Kalaw – first woman to be crowned Queen of the Philippine Carnival (now Miss Philippines and Binibining Pilipinas) in 1908. She is also one of the pioneer woman suffragist of the country.
Iloilo - having the first public national high school outside Manila.
- Most number of ancient or historical churches (21)
- Is the most educated in the Philippines according to the report in Spain
- Having the first school for boys in Tigbauan
- Greatest number of barangay schools & colleges
Molo having eight (8) colleges
- Called “Athens of the Philippines” because of old structures there and the place were like of those in Athens, Greece
West Visayas State University – one of the best university in the Philippines
UPV (University of the Philippines in the Visayas, Miagao, Iloilo) – the biggest school campus in the Philippines
Cockfighting : Jaro Coliseum – the biggest cockfighting gym in the world
Fine Arts: Jose Mari Chan – got several awards because his soft & melodic voice
Josefa Martinez – wrote the Correct English, one of the first grammar book in the Philippines
Pura Villanueva Kalaw – wrote the first cookbook in the Philippines
Pura Villanueva Kalaw and Sofia de Veyra (native of Arevalo, Iloilo) – both of whom from Iloilo are the first women suffragist in the Philippines
Kuh Ledesma – first Filipina and Ilongga to be a judge at the Miss Universe in 1991 and Lupita Jones of Mexico was declared the winner.
Prof. Josette Biyo (science professor at Philippine Science High School, Iloilo) – the first and only Filipino to be honored by having her surname used to name for a minor planet discovered.
- the first Filipino teacher to be awarded the Outstanding Teacher by INTEL Science Engineering Fair in US.