Saturday, October 27, 2012
Alimodian Barangay - Bagumbayan Ilajas
Feast Day: December 30
Patron Saint: Our Lady of Immaculate Conception
In the early days, the place was a woodland which was inhabited by wild animals, thus it was called Sitio Ilahas of Poblacion or town proper of Alimodian with Ilahas means "wild". The sitio is frequently flooded due to its proximity to the river and the residents were also devastated by earthquakes so the people decided to transfer. In 1944, after a strong and widespread flooding some of the residents transferred to a higher place they called Bagong Bayan (new town). On the virtue of Presidential Decree 558, the two place became one and called "Bagumbayan-Ilahas."
Before it became a barrio o barangay, the place was headed by Agustin Aligarbes. When there was a gradual increase in residents during the 1950s, the first Teniente del Barrio was Emilio Ambata. During the term of Teniente Sergio Aguirre (1960 - 1965) a chapel was built. During the incumbency of Barangay Captain Encarnacion Anas, a bigger chapel was built. Electricity reached the barangay during the incumbency of Captain Eustaquio Arellano.