Monday, October 29, 2012
Alimodian Barangay - Ban-ag
Feast Day: 2nd Saturday of January
December 26 (Sitio Pandan)
Patron Saint: Little Child Jesus
Our Lady of Immaculate Conception (Sitio Pandan)
In 1918, the place has full of timber and large wood and lots of fresh, pure, clean and cool water that flows from the spring of a brook in the place. That is why the place is a favorite place of different kinds of animals where different kinds of plants also thrive. According to some elderly residents, the name Ban-ag came from a kind of shellfish called "banag" which are abundant in the brooks, canals, tributaries and springs during those early days. However, according to some other, the name of the place came from a native wood called "Tan-ag" which are abundant also in the place in those days. There was an increase in settlement and people started to buy and work on their farmlands in 1920s.
The first Teniente del Barrio of Ban-ag was Santiago Alsaga in 1930. During the Japanese period and then the Huk rebel group came to the place, the people evacuated away from Ban-ag but returned in the 1950s. The first Catholic church constructed in this barangay was built during the incumbency of Teniente Arcadio Sacatin (1954-1958). The patron saint that was chosen by the people was the Little Child Jesus. The first leader who was called Barangay Captain was Magdalena Allosa in 1965. This is also the same year where the first fiesta queen was chosen who happens to be Estela Velarde which was followed by Quirica Amargo and Lorna Mameloco the following succeeding years.
There are two sitios in Ban-ag: Oyan oyan and Pandan which was formerly called Agak. Sitio Pandan celebrates their fiesta every December 26 in honor of their patron saint, Our Lady of Immaculate Conception.