World Visitors

Free counters!

Ocean Breeze Visitors Around The Globe

Thursday, January 7, 2010

*Separation of Alimodian from Leon

National Library, Manila – Official Gazette Vol. 16, No. 50
Page 1949
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 45,
Manila, November 22, 1918





Municipalities of the Province of Iloilo have to increase, from 29 to 30 by separating the barrio of Alimodian from the present municipality of Leon and organizing the same into an independent municipality to take effect on January 1, 1919.


The election of the new set of officials was held on New Year’s day, 1919. Reelected to the town’s presidency was Gregorio Alvior with Ramon Libo-on as vice president. Ten other people made it as concejales. They were Tomas Algallar, Florencio Alinsangan, Ambrocio Amaguin, Anacleto Amparo, Telesforo Alminaza, Pablo Amarra, Anastacio Penas, Felipe Mediana, Timoteo Ambong and Clemente Alibango.


Leon Candolada was chosen treasurer while Gregorio Amoraco filled the post secretary.


The elementary school which was originally housed in the Municipal Hall was transferred to its present location in Magtanong Street on November 15, 1922. The municipal government whose offices were once housed in the residence of Leon Alderete, took over the Municipal Hall on the same date.


Border Rift Between Alimodian and Maasin



A border rift between Alimodian and the nearby town of Maasin in the early part of 1923. Originally, the boundary between the tow municipalitie was fixed at Mt. Igcaratong the boundary proceeded to Butacan then followed the course of the Aganan River until the Pianda-an Brook. The boundary turned upward to Atabay and Bokbok.


But the municipal government of Alimodian wasn’t amenable to the change. It wanted the original Igcaratong-Maniporon boundary to be retained, so that Siwalo, a progressive barrio, would be within the town’s territorial limits.


The border problem necessitated the coming over of Governor Tiburcio Lutero on May 22, 1922. However, the visit did not resolve the conflict, so a hearing of witnesses was scheduled on the 7th of June 1923.


On that date, Presidents Gregorio Alvior and Cayetano Mandario of Alimodian and Ma-asin respectively presented their witnesses to the provincial court. Those who testified for Alimodian were Placido Anasarias, Gervacio Almira and Andres Amonoy. Because of the expense involved in bringing the witnesses to Iloilo City for the hearing, the Alimodian delegation proposed that further hearings be held in the town. This gained the approval of the provincial court.


On November 9, the governor and the members of the provincial court arrived for the hearing. Those who testified on the side of Alimodian were Tomas Borja from Atabay, Regino Amante from Laylayan and Pedro Bustillos from Punong. On July 21, 1923, the testimonies of President Gregorio Alvior and that of the immediate past president Justo Puga were heard.


In February the verdict of the provincial court was made public. The division worked against Alimodian as Siwalo was placed under the jurisdiction of Maasin. It was ruled that the territory of Alimodian would extend until Manguining and Igcaratong, which means that Mambawi, another thriving barrio would be under Alimodian, but not Maasin.



Education, Economic and Beautification Programs under Alvior Administration



In February 1922 the intermediate school was put up in Concepcion Street (now Magtanong Street). It was finally completed on November 14, 1922 under President Ramon Libo-on and stared when Gregorio Alvior was the president. The total amount spent was P700.


President Gregorio Alvior also undertook the gigantic job of putting up a beautiful town plaza which will be the center of attraction in the Poblacion. It was completed in August 1924.


President Alvior did not leave out the economic development of the citizens. He encouraged all to plant bananas on their backyard and also in their farms because he was of the belief that it could be of much help in their livelihood.


To avail the citizens of secondary education, the town executive put up the Alimodian Institute at the residence of Mr. Rito Tolentino in Plaza Libertad Street. The first teacher was Mr. Florentino Capitulo and some of the students were Asuncion Allin, Antonia Ambong, Trinidad Aldep, Socorro Tabiana, Epifania Altura, Agaton Alfiscar, Trinidad Aniago, Clara Ambe, Felisa Ambe, Caridad Alvia, Felicidad Algallar, Custodia Loredo, Primo Amodia, Federico Ambata, Severo Aldep, Cipriano Alderete, Jose Amparo, Salvador Aliboso, Nicolasa Amaguin and Herminigildo Alcudia. After a year the institute was closed because of lack of qualified teachers.


On December 1, 1922 the construction of the public market in Nichols Street was started. Its site was later transferred to Canonero Street (formerly Taft Street) in 1937 when the town executive was Jose G. Alvior.


The streets in the town underwent repair in February 1928. Those which received most attention were the streets of San Gelacio, San Rufino and Sto. Tomas. Concrete bridges were also constructed in places where they were needed.


Under the administration of President Gregorio Alvior the people were encouraged to change the cogon roofs to galvanized iron in order to lessen fire hazards/ This was evidenced by the fact that before the last war almost all homes in Alimodian had galvanized iron roof.


On February 1, 1929 Ex-President Gregorio Alvior died at St. Paul Hospital in Iloilo City and was interred at the Alimodian Municipal Cemetery the following day. Because of his countless improvements, he was acclaimed the father of his town in the Proclamation No. 2 series of 1970 under mayor Miguel Anas.


During the term of Alvior the town of Alimodian was a happy recipient of 29 volumes of Encyclopedia Britanica, which was the donation of Maximo Alonzaga. It was his gift to his native town upon arriving from California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang Ad